Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
am
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

ESM Upgrade 11.0.3 Problem

Hello Guys,

during the process of upgrading ESM from version 10.2.1 to 11.0.3, I came across the issue, that ESM does not want to reboot. We receive the following line, and nothing else happens afterwards:

- Stopping ESS cpservice

The status has not change for more than a 2 hours now. Does anyone know what could be a reason for this? Is it possible that the database is beeing rebuild (even though I can not see much of a load on a server CPU/Disk activity wise)? When it is safe to reboot the VM via the esx console and hope it is not going to cause any database corruption? 

Thank you very much for the answers in advance.

1 Reply
Reliable Contributor akerr
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: ESM Upgrade 11.0.3 Problem

No, you don't want to force a reboot until the db has shut down.  cpservice is the frontend gui.

What I would do is from the command line, run :

ps auxw | grep cpservice

This will list any currently running cpservice processes.  Kill those ie:

ps auxw | grep cpservice
root 1673 0.0 0.0 239644 30984 ? Ssl Aug05 1:27 /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/cpservicectl
root 6617 0.0 0.0 2956 576 pts/0 S+ 21:34 0:00 grep cpservice
root 11392 62.9 2.0 12485280 5221524 ? Sl Aug05 2869:20 /usr/local/ess/cpserviced /usr/local/ess

kill 11392

If it doesn't get killed, add -9 to kill:

kill -9 11392

Once cpservice stops, the shutdown process should continue and dbserver should start shutting down, which is the real concern.  dbserver will normally repair itself on startup if there are issues, but I would try and make sure it shuts down properly first.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator