Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ksudki
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

ESM - Data allocation (flows vs events)

Dear Community,

Just wanted to share something related to the amount of data available on the ESM for events and flows as I think it could be useful for others

In our environnement, the ESM is receiving both events and flows and that's why we set initially the data allocation to 50% for each.

Not long ago, we noticed that the amount of events available in the ESM was pretty short, approx. 2.5 months whereas the amount of flows was nearly 1 year.

At first, we suspected that the esm was running out of space, but after checking it was only 50%. We decided to monitor it for several days and it did not move above or under 50%.

We checked with our provider and McAfee support and it appears that the ESM is pre reserving 50% of the disk space for the events and 50% for the flows.

Which means that in case your are going further than the limit defined for the events (more than 50%) the ESM will automatically remove older events (FIFO) even if there is plenty of space on the device.

To remediate or avoid this side effect I would recommend that you follow this procedure:

• Use the flow distribution view with time period set to all
    •   Write down the time of the first flow
    •   Write down the total of flows
  • Use the flow distribution view with time period set to one month
    • Write down the total of flows
  • Use the eventdistribution view with time period set to all
    • Write down the time of the first event
    • Write down the total of events
  • Use the event distribution view with time period set to one month
    • Write down the total of events

Identify which type has a the nearest time for the first event/flow -> this means that it is certainly capped to the maximum data allocation size you defined.

Do some mathematics:

- Calculate the amount of events and flows you should keep for the desired period.

- Calculate the percentage for each events and flows based on the total you calculated previously

*I assumed that an event was consuming approx. 20% more than a flow, so I added an extra 20% to the events.

Change the value accordingly. (be careful changing this could erase some data.)

Feedbacks are more than welcome !

Best regards

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.