Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ksudki
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

ESM - Data allocation (flows vs events)

Dear Community,

Just wanted to share something related to the amount of data available on the ESM for events and flows as I think it could be useful for others

In our environnement, the ESM is receiving both events and flows and that's why we set initially the data allocation to 50% for each.

Not long ago, we noticed that the amount of events available in the ESM was pretty short, approx. 2.5 months whereas the amount of flows was nearly 1 year.

At first, we suspected that the esm was running out of space, but after checking it was only 50%. We decided to monitor it for several days and it did not move above or under 50%.

We checked with our provider and McAfee support and it appears that the ESM is pre reserving 50% of the disk space for the events and 50% for the flows.

Which means that in case your are going further than the limit defined for the events (more than 50%) the ESM will automatically remove older events (FIFO) even if there is plenty of space on the device.

To remediate or avoid this side effect I would recommend that you follow this procedure:

• Use the flow distribution view with time period set to all
    •   Write down the time of the first flow
    •   Write down the total of flows
  • Use the flow distribution view with time period set to one month
    • Write down the total of flows
  • Use the eventdistribution view with time period set to all
    • Write down the time of the first event
    • Write down the total of events
  • Use the event distribution view with time period set to one month
    • Write down the total of events

Identify which type has a the nearest time for the first event/flow -> this means that it is certainly capped to the maximum data allocation size you defined.

Do some mathematics:

- Calculate the amount of events and flows you should keep for the desired period.

- Calculate the percentage for each events and flows based on the total you calculated previously

*I assumed that an event was consuming approx. 20% more than a flow, so I added an extra 20% to the events.

Change the value accordingly. (be careful changing this could erase some data.)

Feedbacks are more than welcome !

Best regards

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center