Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dtmc
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

ADM setup and configuration

Hello, does anyone have any instructions or know where I can find any information on how you configure the APM to start looking at traffic? Also, are there any pre-built dictionaries I can download or are we supposed to create our own? I'm having a hard time finding any information outside of the product guide, which doesn't seem to have instructions on how to actually get the ADM to start monitoring traffic. Thank you!

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor akerr
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: ADM setup and configuration

As long as it's monitoring a span port or tap, or similar, it should start producing events for you.  There's really not much in the way of configuration that is needed.

dtmc
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

I see that you can setup "virtual devices". Do I have to do this to have the ADM analyze traffic? And, if so, do I need to use dictionaries at all or do the rules just automatically apply to the virtual device? Thanks!

Reliable Contributor akerr
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I'm not sure where you see the virtual devices.  I've never added a virtual device to an ADM, unless you mean a virtual ADM, which is something that you can do.

As far as rules go, there are default rules in the policy editor and you can create new ones as well.

dtmc
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

The virtual device is found when you highlight the ADM and then click on the square with the orange plus sign in the upper left hand corner (i'm sure there is a more technical term but I don't know what it is!) I created one, assigned it to one of the interfaces. Once I rolled out policy to everything it started working. Wish I understood better what I did but at least I got it partly working. thank you for your help!

zLOB1
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

Hi we use ADM VM there no Virtual Devices.
But what interface used for collection, if in VM 4 interfaces?

Any can help?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.