Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Trusted Network detection fails on large subnet mask

I am a end user of the SaaS Endpoint product ( Firewall Engine 14.4.0.503 ) and have noticed a behavor with the detection of Trusted Networks that conserns me.

I use a wireless network for work and every moring I receive notice that I'm on a different network and asks if I want to trust this network.

The Wifi network here has a very large subnet mask (255.255.128.0) so I get a IP address from all over every day. I notice that if I hover my mouse over the warning, it shows the network IP address as 192.168.111.X ( the 111 part is different every day)

What worries me is that it looks like the firewall module is ignoring the subnet mask when determining if the network is trusted and assumes the mask is 255.255.255.0

Generaly, I would never think IP address should be the only items used in the determination that a network is truted, It should use the MAC address of the gateway. I'm likely to have a few 192.168.1.X networks I trust and don't trust, but the MAC addresses are different (and yes I know a hacker could fake that too)

1 Reply
Pritish
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Trusted Network detection fails on large subnet mask

Hi dcjones21,

We understand your question.

Please contact us directly on our Technical support number and we shall get an agent take remote entry in to your computer and check the McAfee firewall settings.

Please click on the below link, select your Country from the pull down menu and click on the support tab to get the technical support number for Small and Medium business of you Country.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact-us.aspx#ht=tab-techsupport

Please call us and we shall help you explain what is really happening and help you resolve the issue.

Regards

Pritish P.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community