cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcottingham
Level 7

How to disable On Access Scan on a backup process?

Jump to solution

We have noctice that if we disable McAfee On-access scaning on our Servers the backups finish about 5 x quicker (about 2.5 hours instead of 12 hours).

We are using a program called backup assist to do backups to a NAS drive and to Tape drive.

The Mcsheild.exe runs at aroung 30%-50% cpu druing backups if on access scanning is turned on but 0% if OAS is turned off.

is there any way to trust the Backupassist.exe so that Mcafee does scan every file it backs up and slows down the backup.

I don't reall want to have to disable real time Virus protection permanatly just to do backs in a timely manor.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sveerara
Level 10

Re: How to disable On Access Scan on a backup process?

Jump to solution

Hi Jcottingham,

To fix the issue, please follow the steps in the below mentioned KB Article.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71093&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=...

Regards,

Sathish.V

0 Kudos
7 Replies
alexn
Level 14

Jump to solution

Yes, Please open the console of VSE>Double click OnAccess Scanning>Click Default Process>Select Radio Button for Low Risk and High Risk Proceess Config.

Now Clik High Risk Process >Click Exclusion>Browse to the  Backupassist.exe  with full path and exclude it.

Do the same for Low Risk.

Do the same for Default Process.

Having this exclusion , filter driver will not send a request to mcshield.exe to scan it.

0 Kudos
jcottingham
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

I don't think we have VSE just McAffe saas.

the option on the machine look like this:

MCafee Machine Console.jpg

and the options on the web console like this:

McAfee Online Console.jpg

Neither of which seem to have to option to click OnAccess Scanning>Click Default Process>Select Radio Button for Low Risk and High Risk Proceess.

Does this mean we will note be able to exclude certian processes from OA scanning with this product?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
alexn
Level 14

Jump to solution

Yes,I think you can exclude this process under Policy tab,

Message was edited by: alexn on 1/30/13 10:30:57 AM CST

Maybe this would help you:

To create exclusions in SaaS Endpoint Protection, you must create a new policy.

1. Log into http://www.mcafeeasap.com.
  2. Select Policies.
  3. Click Add Policy.
  4. In the Policy name field, type the name for the new policy.
  5. Select Virus & Spyware Protection, Excluded Files and Folders and set the Type to Folder.
  6. In the Value field, type the name of the folder to be excluded, then click Add Exclusions.

NOTE: Include a 'backslash' (\) character at the end of folder names otherwise these will be seen as file names.

Example:

C:\ExcludedFolder\

7. Repeat for all additional folders to be excluded and then click Save.

NOTES:

• If specific files or file extensions are to be excluded, change the Type to either File or File Extension.
    • The new policy will be identical to the McAfee Default policy for all other features unless further modified.

Message was edited by: alexn on 1/30/13 10:34:38 AM CST
0 Kudos
jcottingham
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately this will not be a good solution as it is a backup processes it will copy every folder on every drive.

Using folder execution means I will have to exclude every folder on the system and not only will it disable OAS it will also exclude the daily scan from scanning the system and I will not be protected from viruses!

As there is no way to trust a processes in SAAS I think I will just have to disable the real time OAS and just keep doing a daily scan.

Thank you

0 Kudos
sveerara
Level 10

Jump to solution

Hi Jcottingham,

To fix the issue, please follow the steps in the below mentioned KB Article.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71093&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=...

Regards,

Sathish.V

0 Kudos
jcottingham
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks Sathish.V,

I will try this out.

Looks like it should work.

Through I don't know how McAfee tells if its a backup read or not.

0 Kudos
sveerara
Level 10

Jump to solution

Thanks Jcottingham,

We will look forward  for your status update.

Regards,

Sathish.V

0 Kudos