cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP MediaSmart Console crashes when choosing "Show Quarantined Files"

[EDITED May 2, 2010 to add HomeServerConsole error log at end.]

I have a trial of McAfee Total Protection Service which came with my HP MediaSmart EX495 Windows Home Server.

Until recently, clicking "View Quarantined Files" in the McAfee add-in in the Home Server Console did just that. [edited, May 2, 2010: I now can't actually say for sure that this ever worked.]

Now, however, that action causes the Console to crash.

Just before (or simultaneously with) the console crash, the Windows Event Viewer shows an error related to ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting".

Error event details are: EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.invalidoperationexception, P10 NIL.

The latest Windows updates, HP updates, and McAfee updates are applied.

Computer System:

HP MediaSmart EX495

Version 3.3.1.35433 – 2/3/2010

McAfee Total Protection Service (trial):

Product Version: V5.0.0 Patch 5

DAT file version: 5966.0000

DAT file creation date: 4/28/2010

Scan engine version 5400.1158

Buffer overflow detection version: 467

HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server Add-ins:

Add-in Central v1.0.2.31

MediaSmart Server Drive Labeler v1.0.0.5

Advanced Admin Console v0.5.2

Update History AddIn v0.3.0

Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.1 v6.0.1800.0

McAfee Total Protection Service v4.9.2.132

I can choose to "View Quarantined Files" from the McAfee program itself if I RDP into the server (right-click the McAfee icon in the server's system tray; choose “Open Console”; click “Action Menu”; choose “Product Details”; click “View Quarantined Files”)

Since it's still a trial, no one at McAfee will talk to me. Maybe someone here can shed some light?

I did try rebooting the server, but the problem still happens.

[EDITED May 2, 2010 to add]:

It looks like McAfee maybe isn't handling the Exception when the quarantine file doesn't exist. According to the "HomeServerConsole" logs that I found, every time the Console crashes after I click "View Quarantined Files", the following Exception is thrown:

Error: Exception thrown

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.

at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() in System.dll

at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) in System.dll

at McAfee.HomeServer.Dianostics.ModalProcess2.Start(ProcessStartInfo psi) in TOPWHSUtility.dll [ed. sic "Dianostics"]

at McAfee.HomeServer.Dianostics.ModalProcess2.Start(String sFilePath, String sArgs) in TOPWHSUtility.dll [ed. sic "Dianostics"]

at McAfee.HomeServer.Console.Parts.TaskPartControl.viewQuarantinedFilesLink_LinkClicked(Object sender, LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs e) in HomeServerConsoleTab.TOP.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.OnLinkClicked(LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs e) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Widnows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.WndProc(Message& msg) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Froms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessagew(MSG& msg) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.Applcation+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm) in System.Windows.Forms.dll

at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsole.MainForm.Main(String[] args) in HomeServerConsole.exe

Is there any way to get this info to the programmers?

Message was edited by: nutcase1069, May 2, 2010 @ 9:08am PDT on 5/2/10 11:09:17 AM CDT
9 Replies

Re: HP MediaSmart Console crashes when choosing "Show Quarantined Files"

Nutcase1069,

Please log on to your McAfee Web based console :- www.mcafeeasap.com

Once you are there, Please click on the Feedback tab. That information goes straight to the people that matter, The Product Managers. Please make sue you provide your feedback and make it as crisp and informative as possible.

Thank you

Sameer

Sameer, I've done that -- also reported it using the support option on that page. I haven't had any response, though.

I have a licensed version and I have the same issue. Additionally, the pup link crashes the WHS console.

I have a service request that includes your issue. It has not been answered. Ticket was created 04/12/2010.

Perhaps this will assist you in your decission to move off the Trial Version.

khaihwa
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 10

hI

Any reply from McAfee on this pls? Experiencing the same problem on my EX490.

Message 6 of 10

Hi,

We understand that you are not able to view the Quarantined files from the home server console.

Please be informed that McAfee is aware of this issue and is working on a fix.

Till this issue is resolved, you can view the quarantined files on the home server by following the below steps.

1. Please take full remote control of the Home server, do not open the server console.

2. Right click on the M icon on the right bottom and open console

3. Click on Action menu and select product details

4. In that window you can see Quarantine/PUP files link.

5. Please click on them to view the files.

Regards

Pritish P.

Dear Pritish,

This issue has been resolved.

The resolution is detailed in the e-mail excerpt following my signature line. Hopefully this provides enough information so you can put this issue to bed. I am sure the hot fix is no longer on the site. You will need to contact Robert Churchill and see if the fix can be put back up for nutcase1069 and others.

It never seems to amaze me how poor the McAfee in-house communications must be and how hard it must be to work in such an environment. Hopefully the new owners will hold management’s feet to the fire on this issue

I appreciate the help you have provided in the past.

Yours,

Jerry

Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:47 PM
To:
Subject: RE: McAfee SR # 3-865281000

Jerry,

Engineering created a hotfix msi release of the fix for the quarantine viewer and PUP detections reports on the WHS.

I placed the fix, ToPSWHSConsoleFix.zip, on our FTP site. Simply click the link to download the file.

Open the ‘Shared Folders’ tab on the console screen, then the ‘Software’ folder.

Open that share, then go to the Add-ins folder and place the msi in that folder.

Add the msi by going to the settings tab | available add-ins and installing.

ftp://custftp2.nai.com/outgoing/rchurchi/ToPSWHSConsoleFix.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Bob

Bob Churchill

McAfee Tier III Support – Beaverton, OR USA

From Robert_Churchill@McAfee.com
Sent Thursday, July 08, 2010 1 17 PM
To …

Engineering is still working on the issue regarding the console crashing when selecting quarantine viewer or PUP detections. They have identified the cause in the console code and will have a fix in the next build for certain; however they’re trying to create an independent fix for you. I’m not certain yet if they’ll be able to create a hotfix release but I’ll let you know when I learn more.

Thanks, Bob Bob Churchill McAfee Tier III Support – Beaverton, OR USA

Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 2:13 PM
To: 'subscribe@ameritech.net'
Subject: RE: McAfee SR # 3-865281000 | The Baker Family

Jerry,

Engineering assembled a standalone fix for the issue with the quarantine viewer or PUP detection links and I should have it on Monday or so. I’ll let you know as soon as it’s released to support.

Thanks, Bob

Bob Churchill

McAfee Tier III Support – Beaverton, OR USA

Message 8 of 10

Hi,

I am really sorry for the above.

Please click on the below link and this will open a page from the McAfee Knowledge base.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71255&pmv=print

Please follow the steps and please let us know if the issue is resolved.

Regards

Pritish P.

khaihwa
Level 7
Message 9 of 10

Just tried to install the add-in and at the end of which, it tells me that the installation failed with error code 1641 and to contact the author of the add-in. There's no more urgency on my part as I have already RDP and cleared the reported quarantine files from the desktop itself but just a bit disappointing that this was supposed to be the final resolution......

Message 10 of 10

Hi Khaihwa,

The workaround or the add-in file that was provided is for the the current version.

This patch will be added to the next version of the McAfee SaaS endpoint protection.

This means that the resolution will be built in and you need not have to install a patch resolution or so.

Regards

Pritish P.