cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???

I understand that it is not easy to build security solutions for a new OS. But Windows 10 did not come to the market as a "surprise" and a freeze on 3 of 3 machines is not a small problem.

What shall we do as customers or in my position admin/consultants? Shall we trust into Microsofts own solution? Why would we need any additional AV-Software if this would be enough protection?

After having so many problems with Total Protection i decided to go back to a simple VirusScan 8.8.

Since days i am trying to roll it out to my computers with no success. One computer has VS 8.8 installed but does not update the pattern. The second one is giving me a success message in epo but does not have the software installed. And so on ...

AV-Protection is a very important part of computer business in days, where we have more and more new and clever attacks.

We need a reliable solution and if it does not come from Mcafeee / Intel - we need to switch to other products.

It is your decision if you want to keep or loose the customers...

That's actually not true.  McAfee is the only enterprise virus protection on the market that isn't fully compatible with Windows 10.  Your direct competition, ESET has been compatible with Windows 10 on their enterprise product for their last two versions.  To put it bluntly, this should have been fixed by today. What is it going to take to get Intel to push the proper resources into fixing this immediately?  Class action?  Bad press?  It's clear by now Intel doesn't care about its McAfee customers or the millions of dollars that Intel is stealing in downtime from its customers.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 23 of 37

It's clearly a hardware incompatibility with mcafeeasap.com software on Windows 10

From what we've learned about the issue so far, it's not a hardware incompatibility issue at all.

What may be clear to you from your perspective as a User (or former User) of the product is not necessarily going to be true as you navigate the code and heart of the operating system. We are always dependent upon the outcome of a thorough investigation before we can clearly state what an issue is and is not. And it is an unfortunate outcome of software development that some Users will encounter problems that were not discovered pre-release; it's an unavoidable gap - our test environment is not your test environment, and our test environment is vast by comparison and yet we did not discover this issue. The discovery of why this sort of thing happens always becomes clear in hindsight, after investigative work has been completed, and where possible it leads to process/procedural improvements to avoid a pitfall if it's reasonably within our control to do so. Still, there is some responsibility conferred to yourself as a User of the software, to test the product in your own environment, to abide by best practices for software deployment. And even then, not all issues will nor can they be discovered... but we try.

Where folks are able to cooperate with us in reporting issues, working through the discovery process to identify root cause for issues, that's always appreciated. We cannot expect that everyone will be willing to work through that process, it's at times very difficult, however for those that persevere we will have a better product because of it.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Maybe not but it definitely seems that ASUS motherboards with Intel chipsets and CPUs are all affected.  Build a system of your own with these specifications and you'll see how often it locks up the computer and then how half the time McAfee Agent doesn't uninstall properly.  I wonder how many poor souls think that it's a problem with Windows 10, not the true culprit, McAfee.  While we are going back and forth here, Intel/McAfee continues to push this issue off for another day.

Here's our next step, I want a refund for my clients grants.  They are all interested in getting their money back.  If they are not refunded as I've already requested to your awful "escalation team" without any appropriate reply, I'm sure multiple lawyers would be interested in working pro bono against a company like Intel for such a widespread and damaging issue.  This forum is all the proof a judge or jury would need to recognize that Intel/McAfee have not fulfilled its own commitments in notifying its subscribers of the issue or resolving the issue promptly. I'd call the lack of notification to your subscribers immoral and the legalities involved could be very damaging to the company as a whole.

Why not bring your managers into this conversation.  You'd be far better off, passing this off to your superiors. 

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 25 of 37

Hi ,

I've read your response and see 3 points to touch on -

1. The steps you advise for building a device to reproduce the issue will not be necessary though as we're able to investigate the issue using other data points.

2. I'm not able to assist you with your stated next steps, but I would encourage you to speak with your Sales representative.

3. This forum isn't the right place to discuss legal issues - maybe we have a page for that somewhere else? I'm sorry I don't have any useful advice to share with you on that topic. You should know that the forums are a community in which individuals contribute for the betterment of all, it's not a soundboard of anything official. As a community, it has moderators to ensure conversations are held in appropriate forum locations, and uphold forum rules.

For others reading -

Regarding the Windows 10 related issue for which this thread is intended, I'll post more as relevant information comes to light.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Needless to say I'm so thoroughly disappointed and that is coming through in my messages.  As a McAfee reseller for the last decade I'm very sad to see things come to this final unfortunate end.  Thank you for your time.

I can understand the frustration with this issue and i wonder, how i could assist to find the cause of the freeze?

All i found out is, that the problem is on updated and fresh installed computers. I tested on an hp z210, hp xw8400 and lenovo yoga. So i guess it's different hardware. I was able to use the software until one moment that might be caused by an ms update. That would explain, why the problems started nearly at the same time. If the cause lies in an update the question is which one was deployed by ms? I removed the software on 22-sep so the issue must be before that day. unfortunately i do not have more restore points. At the moment i have also a problem installing VSE 8.8 on those computers. Maybe ithis leads to the same cause? I will try to investigate this and post the results.

O.K. first result - i am unable to install VSE 8.8 or any endpoint security component. Agent log shows "unknown error". So my direct question. Is there a tool to clean a computer from all those NAI products to be able to start with a fresh install?

i tried to install the "ENDP_GS_1000" only. here's the error.

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    Thread     [Main thread]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    SessMgr     [SessionManager::runScript:C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\update\InstallMain.McS]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [Executing section ScriptMain]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [Call]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [Executing section InstallAllProducts]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [LoopIf]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [Executing section InstallProduct]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [Call]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [Executing section IsProductInstalledUsingDetectionScript]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    ScrptExe     [Line 2055:  RunScript dwRet = C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\\Current\ENDP_GS_1000\CommonDet.mcs, IsProductInstalled]->

2015-10-21 08:21:38    E    #8632    CmdPrsr      Parse error line 49 column 0:  expected ,

jamesw
Level 7
Message 30 of 37

Any update on when this is likely to be resolved we have 20+ machines representing a range of ages from new to 3 years old all suffering from the problem.

HP z200, z210, z220, z230, 820G1, 840G1, prodesk 4000, pro 4300, Dell T1600.

If we remove SaaS Antivirus (ENT 10.0.1) the problem goes away, reinstall and it returns, considering how popular the devices we have are with businesses globally I'm highly surprised internal QA didn't find this months ago and hasn't prioritised a fix.

Does the now announced EOL of SaaS mean that windows 10 with microsoft's constant update policy will at some point cease to be a supported platform?

Endpoint Security 10 appears from our testing appears to also be afflicted leaving us no future migration route for license renewals once SaaS EOS's in January?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community