cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ib-ben
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 37

Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???

I've done numerous fresh installs, and what I've found is that everything works fine...until you run a scan.  Once the scan is initiated (even if it completes successfully), the lock up issues will begin occurring.  As you described them, the computer will lock up after about 5 minutes or so, including the task bar and task manager not even responding.

If I install the software but don't run a scan it seems just fine.

I may try to do a fresh install again now that a new patch has been pushed out.

ib-ben
Level 7
Message 12 of 37

I tried patching the existing software to this week's release.  No luck in solving the freezing problem in Windows 10.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 13 of 37

Hello ,

Are you able to mention here or PM me what your SR# is that was opened with Intel Security?

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 37

From what you two both describe, this issue smells like a deadlock is occurring.

In this particular instance, the deadlock is occurring (likely between some critical system threads) and for a brief time the system is able to respond to other activities.

But, those other activities eventually become dependent on a system thread or resource which is involved in the deadlock, causing it too to become stuck.

Eventually, all activity will halt as everything becomes dependent on the deadlock to clear.  It's a classic train-wreck scenario.

But, to investigate these issues we have to work from post-mortem crash dumps. Please work with Support as needed to investigate.

Highlighted

Hello wwarren,

this sounds plausible. But to be able to find the cause - how could / should i collect post-mortem crash dumps?

I am not authorized for support as i use "Action Pack". That's we i use the forum.

I uninstalled the software from my computers as it was not possible to work with it. So we at least have the information, that the hang is caused by one component of the Mcafee product.

I still wonder, if this will ever become a final soultion? Endpoint Suite does not seem to be compareable?

ib-ben
Level 7
Message 16 of 37

, I just sent you an email response with a bit more detail and to setup a time to run through the system.  Let me know what times might work for you in the email to do a screen share and collect dump files.  Let's make sure we update this forum post too so that others may benefit.

This is a widespread issue and it has serious implications for Intel/McAfee.  Thousands upon thousands of computers are locking and crashing because of this.  We need attention to this matter and a resolution immediately.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 37

Hi ,

I strongly suggest engaging with Intel/McAfee Support if you are experiencing this issue. The more data we have from the field to investigate this symptom, the sooner we'll be able to root cause the problem.  Now, granted, that may be somewhat contingent upon the level of participation from those reporting the issue and the type of data we can obtain, but even the least amount of involvement - which is to officially report the incident - it helps us prioritize this issue.

As an aside, the data we've collected from looks promising. The investigation is ongoing at this time.

It shouldn't take long for Intel to find their own computers that have this issue.  Based on my findings more than 60% of computers running Windows 10 are affected.  Clean formats don't fix it once you install McAfeeASAP.com virus protection, the systems start to lock again.  It's clearly a hardware incompatibility with mcafeeasap.com software on Windows 10.  I have been forced to move away from McAfee/Intel virus protection because of this issue.  I have zero interest in being a guinea pig for your developers.

ib-ben
Level 7
Message 20 of 37

, I totally agree that this issue should have been found much sooner and addressed.  And, I'm certainly not happy about having this tested in our environment.  However, at this point, the more systems that they can get data from, the easier the engineering team will be able to resolve the problem. 

Note that there are quite a few other endpoint protection systems that are still not even compatible on Windows 10 machines. 

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community