cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying alert message "on-demand scan has been paused"

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a message popping up regulary - sometimes, I think, every 10 minutes, saying "On-demand scan has been paused". It's annoying because it pops up in the top right corner, is quite big, and plays a sound (I believe it's look and sound are defined by my system, but anyway) and this happens while I'm working. It has just popped up again while I was writing this. I think this is background scan, than why should I care at all if it was paused?

I was trying to play with the settings, but the only way I could make it disappear is by turning off all options of "on demand" scan, effectively turning it off fully. I was happy for some time, but than got a virus alert, and decided to turn it back on.

I'm surprised that I could not find any mentioning of this message in google or in this commuinty. Am I the only one getting it all the time?

Now I am annoyed enough to register and ask this question. Can anything be done about this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 18

Re: Annoying alert message "on-demand scan has been paused"

Jump to solution

Thanks for bringing this to our notice . We will remove this notification with the next patch that's planned for Q2 '15 release

Thanks

SaaS Endpoint Product Management

Intel Security

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

When this is happening open security center and see if a scan is running and which 1. have you got a scan scheduled to start at that time noting to get scheduled scan to start on time you need to go to navigation general settings and alerts/ General settings and alerts and deselelect the option to wait till idle.

Do you have another virus/malware scanner installed that does real time scanning ?

Try running

McAfee Virtual Technician

and if all above no assistance best call support

Services and Support for Home and Office

Do this after you run Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org ( install the free version not the premium trial as the latter has real time scanning)

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 18

Jump to solution

I'm using McAfee Endpoint Security 10 on Windows 8.1 and I'm getting the same message. One of my colleagues experiences the issue as well.

The solution I've found is to change Scan only when the system is idle to Scan anytime under Scheduled Scan Options (basically what Peacekeeper said). It's no a real solution, however, since the computer can get painfully slow when a scan is on-going while I'm working.

I suspect it happens when the software tries to start a scan, but discovers that the computer isn't idle. I don't know if the problem is that the software displays an unnecessary warning or that the warning is genuine and something is preventing the scan from happening. Can someone from McAfee/Intel chime in? 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

thj I was talking about consumer if it or similar helps in endpoint security good

If you .want to ask more re Endpoint better in the correct forum.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Jump to solution

As Colleague Peacekeeper mentioned. You would be better assisted if someone from the Corporate side addressed your issue. Could you please let us know if we move it to SaaS Endpoint Protection (Total Protection Service) will be more appropriate?

During the interim, I will ping a Moderator from the Corporate side of things to check this thread out.

All the best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

(Consumer Products)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 6 of 18

Jump to solution

Please feel free to move the post if you feel that it would fit better in another forum. I came here through a Google search and just thought I'd add my experience to show that kurtevich is not the only one having the issue.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

That was why I left it here it kind of showed that both versions the scheduled scan the fix is similar that assumes it helped the OP with this issue. I would leave the post here as it was an observation not a question.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Jump to solution

Actually I left it here as I heard nothing back from the OP. Since it seems the solutions/suggestions PK, and yourself gave answered the question. I also thought it was best.

All the very best

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 9 of 18

Jump to solution

Well, I suppose both kurtevich and myself would like to know how to fix this problem without turning the "scan only when idle" feature off. As I wrote earlier, it's not a real solution since it can really slow things down if a scan is on-going while you're working.

I suppose I should try the Endpoint Security forum - thanks for the help here!

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Jump to solution

Moved to SaaS Endpoint Protection ( Total Protection Service ) > Discussions - By Moderator

At Poster's Request

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community