cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 of our 40 machines are not updating - support claims it is an IE 11 issue but we only use the base protection - no browser plugin etc.

Jump to solution

I've had this issue for the past few months now. I've created two cases over the last two months through the SaaS portal and never got a reply from anyone. Finally this morning I decided I would call. After getting transfered twice and spending 30 minutes on the phone I was told EndPoint Protection WILL NOT update if you use Windows 7 with IE 10 or 11. I said that didn't make sense considering I have two identical machines (see screenshots) and updates apply on one but not the other - both with Windows 7 and IE 11. He then restated that it is in only "some cases". I was then point to this KB article:

First KB article I was sent to:

http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81158

I quickly pointed out and explained that WE DO NOT USE Site Advisor or the browser plugin. It slows down the machine to a crawl and it isn't intalled on any of our machines. When I install I specifically uncheck Brower Support on the installer.

I was put on hold for a while and he came back and said to look at this KB article:

http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60533

He is saying that EndPoint Protection will not recieve updates - even if I don't use the brower plugin because IE is used as "the defauly text browser" and it causes issues. He said - "this is an ongoing support issue that our engineers are working with Microsoft on." I asked him what my options are and he said I should roll the 20 machnes back to IE 9. Say what?

This makes no sense to me. Why do half of the machines work? Manually running "Update Now" doesn't do anything. It just says "the last update failed" (See attachment). My dat files range in dates from October - last week on those 20 machines. All are set to auto-update with Windows and all are the same - either Windows 7 or Windows 2008 Server R2. It's not as if they can't connect because in ALL cases the "Last Connect" date in the SaaS portal is after the Dat Date. (See attachment)

I somehow don't buy the notion that McAfee just says - we can't make our updates work if your machine as IE 10 or 11. IE 10 has been out for almost 1.5 years. Updates worked fine for as long as I recall. It's just been the last 3 months that I have seen this issue.

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Message was edited by: chris5682 on 2/4/14 9:27:19 AM CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 11

Re: 20 of our 40 machines are not updating - support claims it is an IE 11 issue but we only use the base protection - no browser plugin etc.

Jump to solution

Hello,

This was caused due to an IE 11 change to its scripting component . After  discussion(s) with Microsoft to understand the cause for this issue , we have provided IE 11 compatibility through patch 3 which is currently being deployed in phases

As you have stated , if you are already encountering this update issue , you can download and install the HF available at https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81536

Thanks

Chandan

10 Replies

Re: 20 of our 40 machines are not updating - support claims it is an IE 11 issue but we only use the base protection - no browser plugin etc.

Jump to solution

McAfee support - please hop in here. You guys haven't really helped thus far when I created cases regarding this. Now is your chance...

Jump to solution

Hi chris5682,

In order for the SaaS agent to update, it uses Internet Explorer as a medium to communicate with the McAfee SecurityCenter. So, the Internet Explorer compatibility is one of the factors required to ensure the update is successful.

We are supported with Internet Explorer 10 and 11 on Windows 8/8.1 systems. However, on Windows 7 systems, we are yet to be supported for both the IE version mentioned above.

This incompatibility issue is to be resolved in a patch that is expected to be available by 2nd week of March 2014.

To help you with the current situation, there is an unofficial workaround which is found to resolve issues. You may add mcafeeasap.com and vs.mcafeeasap.com in the IE trusted sites list, and then try updating SaaS agent manually. This workaround will not require the IE to be downgraded.

Regards,

Maheson R

Jump to solution

Completely understand this as this is what the level I support person said. My question is how does it magically work for 20 machines on the network with Windows 7 and IE11. No config differences. We're talking carbon copies here. 

I need to understand how it previously worked and then all of a suddenly stopped working 3-4 months ago. It would appear that McAfee put out an update of the agent that broke this. This is a major security hole that has got us thinking about why we are even using McAfee in general if it doesn't support a browser that is 1.5 years old. So we have to revert to a IE 9 to get anti-virus to work again and expose ourselves to all the security holes in IE9?

Forgive me if I sound a little negative I'm just frustrated that you guys (not you personally but McAfee) have taken 6 months to resolve this and I don't feel like I'm hearing the full story or even a consistent story.

Jump to solution

Hello chris5682,

I really have no answer for your question about how it worked on one set of machines while it failed on the rest. The expected behaviour is that it will fail to update.

I am not sure if you are confident about trying the workaround that I gave. The issue is expected to be resolved in a couple of weeks from now. If you wish, you may try the workaround and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Maheson R

slinkey
Level 7
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  I have found out that it seems to update only when a pc is booted.  If the pc is left on over nite or whatever it does not update.  If hover over icon of a pc that has been on 4 days without restarting it will show last updated on the date 4 days ago.  If try to do manuel it will not update but then shows update failed if hover over the icon.  I have all versions of windows.  It sems to be the pcs that aren't booted at least once a day that have the problem. 

Jump to solution

I am experienceing the same exact problem.

slinkey
Level 7
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

I have talked to support and allowed them on my pcs and they found the same thing that I did... upddlg.exe is hanging and not ending.  The work around is to go to task mgr and kill it and then it will work a time or two before it hangs again.  They didn't tell me or show me anything I did not already know!  They hope patch 3 will fix it if it ever comes down.  Anyway...that's your option for now...kill it when hangs or reboot which does the same thing.

Jump to solution

I too have been ending the upddlg.exe process on my machine.

I dont want to have to explain how to do this to all of our employees nor should i have to. this needs to be fixed and downgrading IE is not an option for us.

Jump to solution

mcafee: "You may add mcafeeasap.com and vs.mcafeeasap.com in the IE trusted sites list, and then try updating SaaS agent manually." does not work as I did this and mcafee support also did it one of our pcs and still hung. They even set the securty to lowest setting in IE...what the %$#@!!!!!!!!!

killing the UpDdlg.exe is only way to get it to update.