cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

FIMCLI.EXE Using 25% CPU, MCShield Trying to Use 100% CPU

I've been having issues for the past 2-3 weeks where FIMCLI.EXE (which is the Policy Auditor from what I understand) will start and use exactly 25% of my CPU.  Also, occasionally, MCShield will kick in and basically just use all the available CPU power.

I've tried letting them run for a while, but my laptops CPU fan would keep kicking up speed until it sounded like it was trying to take off, and I was worried about overheating.

I can use Task Manager to end FIMCLI, so it's not as big of a deal.  I cannot end MCShield though, and since it is the more problematic one, it's more of an issue.  I can restart my computer to stop it, but it's an inconvenient fix.

I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what makes either program kick in, so I'm not sure what to try to avoid doing, but I feel like this is odd behavior that should probably nor be happening, but wanted to get some confirmation on this.

Should I just let it run?  Will the process eventually run it's course and stop?  Has anyone else had this happen?

2 Replies

Re: FIMCLI.EXE Using 25% CPU, MCShield Trying to Use 100% CPU

McShield is the malware scanning component of VirusScan Enterprise. It could be a scheduled scan or real-time access that is triggering McShield.exe activity.

I would first have someone that administers VSE policies check that FIMCLI.EXE is excluded from real-time scanning. You would probably want them to do an exclusion for this based on the process name, because obviously you care a lot about the files the integrity monitor is touching.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, ask the admin to enable debug logging for McShield (it's a Registry tweak). This will show you which processes are requesting access to which files (with timestamps). So, it should be really easy to determine the catalyst for all that activity.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: FIMCLI.EXE Using 25% CPU, MCShield Trying to Use 100% CPU

Yes, make the fimcli.exe a low risk process in the VSE policy...

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community