cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Level of Connections changes after reboot

I have a simple Home Network in which a Netgear Wireless Router enables a Desktop machine to share files with a Wireless Laptop. To enable this, I have assigned the IP address range 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255 a Security Level of "Home" in the Connections part of the Desktop machine's Firewall configuration. Since upgrading to Security Center 10.5 (Firewall 11.5) I find that when the Desktop is rebooted, the IP address range Security Level reverts to "Public". Then the Laptop of course can't ping the Desktop or see its files until I change the Security Level back to "Home", at which point File Sharing again works.

Is there any way I can avoid having to reconfigure the Firewall every time I restart the Desktop machine?

Both Desktop and Laptop are running XP SP3 and Security Centre 10.5. Security Centre's "My Home Network" link shows that each computer trusts the other.

2 Replies

Re: Security Level of Connections changes after reboot

This is weird. I just restarted my Desktop machine, and this time it put up a message saying that a "new" network had been detected (the one I've always had!), and asked me to choose the Security Level. I chose "Home". Since then I've re-booted twice and it's always rememebered the Home Security Level of the IP address range.

nsyrette
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Security Level of Connections changes after reboot

I'm having a similar problem but just slightly different from Ben.  I have a wireless network in my home and share the internet access with a roommate.  We both have laptops and I'm using the latest version of McAfee's internet security 2010 and have windows 7 on my own computer.  I've had numerous attack detections originating from his computer (and have come across outsiders accessing my computer; obviously from the point of the least resistance) so I have set his IP to "blocked" yet everytime I boot up my laptop, his IP security level reverts back to the "home" setting.  The problem is not me... believe it or not, I know I am not overly computer savvy but I do find this program quite user friendly and it is not hard to type in the correct IP address, select security level and then click save.  I had even edited the range to exclude this one IP address.

Also, I've run diagnostics on the antivirus/security program from the McAfee's website and it usually ends up fixing a registry key value for the antivirus scanner program... (not really sure what that means but it does happen quite a bit; useful info, in case the two are interrelated).

I guess my question is: Is there a reason why this keeps reverting back to an unsafe security level when I expressly wish my personal firewall to exclude every and all access from this single computer?

Fortunately Ben seems to have gotten a solution quite immediately but my problem has been happening for at least the past four of five months...(and to be honest, I'm not really sure if I should be posting this in a separate, individual thread) I think the only reason why I am doing anything about it now is because the idle curiousity about the whole situation, has turned into mild annoyance.  I have yet to have any thing malicious happen to my computer (that I've noticed) but it really has started to slow everything down.

Solutions? Answers?

Thanking you in advance,

Neal

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community