Ok will ask the resident forum tech to popin and comment. To escalate you call support and request an escalation call back telling them disabling netguard is a temporary fix and that shows it is not your isp.
Re netguard just disable it in firewall settings under the netguard setting
I'm another frustrated user with the exact same issue. Did a clean uninstall/re-install as per previous instructions and still have the problem. Reading past posts it appears Netguard is the culprit so I will disable it and see if the issue is resolved.
Just to add my experiences:
It happens on average once or twice a day, and lasts for a short while. Often I close all applications and wait a few minutes and the problem goes away. While the problem is present, I can ping my modem, separate router and switch, but I can't ping anything on the internet (eg, 188.8.131.52) - I get a general failure message. When I log onto my router I can ping the internet fine. This means the cause of the problem is related to the PC. It's hard to prove but I think the problem arises when I run Firefox (has both WOT and WebAdvisor add-ons). I try to replicate the problem again with Firefox but it works fine, until much later. So, it's unclear if the browser actually triggers the problem or not.
I mentioned the issue in our weekly call Monday and a tech will read over the thread. I will check with him later on in the week re if he has done this yet
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but I have recently started having this same "Resolving Host" issue where my internet stalls out. I thought it was an issue with my TWC equipment or connection but saw someone mention the McAfee Firewall as a possible culprit. I tested this and once I had the issue I did a quick "Turn Off" of the firewall and everything started working again. I've now done like earlier posters have said and just disabled the Net Guard option for the Firewall so it's not completely disabled...just the NG is off. I hope the problems stop. What confuses me is that I never had this issue (or never noticed a problem) until the past few weeks.
I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks - intermittent failure to resolve host addresses. Turning off the firewall solves it instantly. My subscription is up in 8 days. If it is not fixed by then I am dumping McAfee and switching to Norton.
Disable netguard feature in the firewall settings is the current workaround. Mcafee needs to get logs from someone who can repro the issue to that end I have emailed the forum tech to get this moving.
Happy to supply the logs. Just need to know how and where to get the logs. I'm running a script to alert me when the problem arises. The last two times it happened it lasted for 10 minutes. During that time I conduct some tests of my own, such as pinging various targets, PortQry DNS servers and run tasklist to capture what's running at the time. I also checked Microsoft's event log but I noticed nothing unusual so far.
Similar experience, except to add that when my PC's Internet activities (both FireFox and Chrome browsers, plus Thunderbird email) get blocked, there's no problem getting to the same Web sites via Safari on my iPad which of course does not have McAfee running on it. I turned off NetGuard about an hour ago, no problem since. Thanks for the tip.
<edited to add...> BTW, I had the same DNS blockage issue for both the Comcast default DNS service and Google's DNS. Win7 at current service level, FWIW.
This is a joke. It is happening again. I don’t know of any of you noticed but this loss of internet connectivity associated with an update is a reoccurring problem for Mcafee. Check the logs for 2012 https://community.mcafee.com/thread/28074?start=0&tstart=0 An update caused many thousands of people to intermittently lose internet connectivity. This was a problem that was solved only by disabling the firewall. Now it appears that an update has caused the same problem.
The way Mcafee dealt with the problem back then was to not tell anyone it was their fault, blame the problem on other programs, have everybody re-install everything a thousand times, and then when the problem got too big to deny released a tiny obscure statement on their website finally claiming responsibly but no apology. From what I understand they released a fixed update back then which solved the problem until this recent update which has now brought it all back.
Imagine, a program which you pay for whose very essence is to provide secure internet surfing blocks you from accessing that very internet? That is a major problem, and really an almost unforgivable one for it to even happen once, particularly with the sub-par way that Mcafee handled it. But for it to occur twice? That is truly unforgivable. Switch to another AV provider. I am going to as soon as my subscription is up.
And do not listen to the moderators here. Back in 2012 some of the very same moderators were saying the very same useless things. Trying to blame the problem on other programs. Asking you to go through the pain of uninstalling everything. They KNOW that the problem is with Mcafee and the Mcafee update. They were THERE in 2012 when the very same thing happened and yet mysteriously they don’t even mention it and instead get you to bang your head against the wall doing other things.
All we can do aside from switching to another AV provider (the best option) is to inform Mcafee that yet again the problem is happening and they need to get a fix together. The only thing that has helped me so far is a fix posted by someone in the 2012 discussion where you go to your firewall settings, and under ports and systems services make sure that http port 80 is checked. This only helps for about a half hour and then Mcafee blocks the internet again. Disabling NetGuard also gets some results but I would imagine makes surfing less safe. Mcafee needs to fix this problem for good or it will eventually lose all its customers.