cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee alerts and Log Viewer

I downloaded and installed the Malware program as suggested in the virus forum but was surprised when McAfee allowed it saying that automatic permission had been granted. I looked around but am not entirely too sure how to change it so that permission is sought first and not just granted.

Also, while looking around, I checked my Log Viewer and have found that unsolicited connection attempts have been made from incoming traffic in the last month. McAfee has not been showing many alerts lately and I am not sure what is going on. Is there anyway to make sure all my settings are right?

Thank you.
3 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

RE: McAfee alerts and Log Viewer

I moved this to Firewall 10 but I'm not sure which version you have.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Internet & Network (top left)
Click Advanced (right)

Move the slider in the right module to "Standard" - the old warnings will begin to appear once you've clicked Apply and OK.

Those incoming events are seen in everyone's incoming events, except sometimes when there is a hardware firewall as in a router, that prevents them appearing.

They are blocked attempts and needn't be of any concern.
Highlighted

Thanks. I do have Firewall V10.0. I did as you said and have my fingers crossed I have no more problems with my computer.
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

I figured that you must have the newest version as it is set to Automatic by default. That's a new setting that dispenses with most warnings. People have complained so much in the past about all the "pop-ups" so I guess the developers figured it would calm some nerves that way.
What you have done is basically set it to what was the default in the previous versions.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community