cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to harden more the firewall security - getting a lot of risky ip blocks?

Hi, Is there any way to harden more the firewall security from McAfee Internet Security? because I'm getting a lot of risky IP blocks from the firewall (1000+ IP Blocks within 3 days with PC shutdown half the time)?

firewall.png

firewall2.png

7 Replies

Re: Any way to harden more the firewall security - getting a lot of risky ip blocks?

I'm not a forum expert, but from what you are seeing the McAfee firewall seems to be doing its job by blocking those connections, that's exactly what it needs to do!

If you still feel at risk, you can go into firewall setting, select "Traffic Controller" and instead of the default of "Smart Access" you might choose "Stealth".

However, be aware that you may get prompted to make complex decisions by the firewall because it is handing over some of the control to you, so you need to be experienced...otherwise, simply leave it on "Smart Access" and it makes all the decisions for you, that's the setting that I use.

Another option is to go into firewall settings, and this time choose "Intrusion Detection", and then enable the "Basic" recommended option. This can give you greater protection.

BorisV
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 8

Re: Any way to harden more the firewall security - getting a lot of risky ip blocks?

There is a way indeed. 

1. From traffic controller choose stealth mode.

2. From My Network Connections find the name of the network you are connected to and set it public. 

3. On Intrusion Prevention, turn on the function and set it to aggressive.

Hope that helps.

This image shows 50,000 attacks in a 30 day history with in the firewall activity! is this normal? Should i be worried?

firewall.png

Just to let you all know i haven't hardened the firewall yet mentioned by BorisV.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Can get this much but really high. Mine set on default Smart Access and got way lower than that could be sites you usually visit. I rarely venture off my normal sites so my amount could be low.

Try the stealth setting though I never needed it. Asked before

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Personal-Firewall/2576-blocked-suspicious-incoming-connections/m-p/4...

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Personal-Firewall/I-have-gotten-over-5000-Incoming-Suspicious-connec...

Thank you

BorisV
Level 8
Message 7 of 8

It may be normal, depending on the environment your computer is in. The McAfee firewall rejects traffic on certain vulnerable ports, it rejects traffic that was unexpected and it rejects traffic from risky IP Addresses. Other vendors do the same, but they just won’t provide you with the numbers. You’ve got nothing to worry about and nothing to harden.
Highlighted
Moderator GaneshR
Message 8 of 8

HI @Ghost_1 

Our article will help you to know about the protection of cryptojacking.  This article will brief about the risky connections blocked in your pc Your McAfee software blocked risky connections

Regards
Ganesh Raju R

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members? give Kudos if appropriate

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community