cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Anti Virus Plus and Internet Disconnection when opening browser after Sleep mode

Hi

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?  From the day of the upgrade of McAfee Anti Virus Plus to the current version (SecurityCentre 10.5.221 update 9/1/11)  my system has been disconnecting from the internet approximately one minute after first opening a new browser session after coming out of sleep mode.  This occurs with both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3. I can sometimes click through three or four pages before it disconnects. I resolve the issue by running Windows Network Diagnostics each time and resetting the Local Area Connection network adapter. Once restored, the internet session runs fine until the next sleep session for the computer. I have run McAfee Virtual Technician which has not fixed the problem. I was also experiencing the problem of the Real Time Scanning not staying on but note that this has now been fixed.

It is a HP Pavillion running Vista and a D-Link DI series modem. I have experienced this problem once before when my McAfee subscription expired and I tried to remove McAfee Anti Virus software. I thought it may have been due to an incomplete removal although also tried using the McAfee removal tool at the time without having an impact on it. I only was able to resolve the issue by renewing my subscription to the McAfee product. A second HP laptop running Windows XP has also been having connection dropouts since the Anti Virus Plus upgrade but at this stage I cannot determine the pattern of dropouts on that computer.

Regards

Patrick

1 Reply
Dinz
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Anti Virus Plus and Internet Disconnection when opening browser after Sleep mode

Hi Patrick,

Please Follow the below steps to resolve the issue and update us on the status;

Ø  Click on Start - Right click on computer - click on manage

Ø Navigate to power management option under  network adapter

Ø  Check whether  the option  “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”  is enabled

Ø  If yes , please disable it , Close all the windows and reboot the computer.

Network adapter.JPG

The computer should now detect Internet connectivity after it comes from sleep mode. Please let us know if you still have any issues, connecting to internet after the above step.

Thread moved to Firewall section

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community