I have tried this workaround (re-start the system, but don't log-in for about 15 min. Then log-in and continue working. The CPU usage doesn't go beyond 30-40%)
Hello, when you mention CPU usage at ±30/40%, is that for the mmsshost.exe software or for all applications usage? Point is that we do have the issue, the mmsshost.exe goes beyond the 80% by itself only.
I just solved the problem.
I flushed Mcafee from my computer, and i buyed WebRoot for only 19.99$. I don't want to wast my time with a product that create some latency on my laptop.
I spend 70$ for mcafee, and it's not working correctly.
I noticed after rebooting my PC yesterday that the mmsshost.exe process no longer consumes most of the CPU. The McUICnt.exe process ("McAfee") is consuming about 15% CPU, and mmsshost.exe is down to 0% CPU. I'm seeing the same thing on my laptop, both have McAfee Total Protection, release 16.0.5 installed. So I'm wondering if a recent update in the last day or two has fixed the problem, or if the mmsshost.exe has a memory-leak and starts consuming CPU after some up-time, or after one or more scheduled daily scans. Anyway, for now, the problem is solved on my PC and laptop, without me doing anything except rebooting. But I'll post another update to this forum thread if it re-surfaces.
It's been over 2 months since this issue was reported and no progress appears to have been made by McAfee. I'm still experiencing this problem and it's not satisfactory that we haven't had an update on the progress to resolve this issue.