Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 146

Re: Multiple copies of Quick CLean (Qcshm.exe) running

Jump to solution

After you re-booted your machine were you able to get into the interface?   It may take hours before you see new copies of QcShm.exe.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure I was able to open the interface after the restart, but I did not try to disable Mcafee's Access Protection (in case that would compromise my real-time access protection)

Now, 10-hours later, I'm back to the state where:

* I am prevented from opening the interface with "An update is being installed"

* I have 2 copies of QcShm.exe running

* I can't stop the "McAfee AP Service" from the Task Manager with an "Access is denied"

If I turn off Access Protection, does that leave me susceptible to viruses when I access files? If I leave AP running, does it become ineffective once the QcShm.exe instances start to accumulate? After getting my machine hacked by Russians last month, I'm a little reluctant to keep disable protection, unless that's the only way to stop the QcShm.exe buildup

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 23 of 146

Jump to solution

While I am perplexed as to why these processes accumulate/quantify? Please leave your (Access Protection) enabled!  This assures you that none of your critical files can inadvertently be accessed, even by McAfee itself.

​ or one of your colleagues, could you add to the discussion?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 24 of 146

Jump to solution

I've just noticed a similar problem on my laptop, though in my case there's only one copy of QcShm.exe running unless I open the McAfee interface and click on "QuickClean". Doing this causes another copy of QcShm.exe to appear in Task Manager. I don't know if this is the case for everyone else here or just me. Scheduled Cleaning is off. 

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 25 of 146

Jump to solution

Sounds like same.  If you click on "about" in the Mcafee interface does another QcShm.exe appear?

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 26 of 146

Jump to solution

Just checked, and it does. I'm surprised I didn't notice this earlier as I always click 'About' after McAfee finishes an update, but don't open Task Manager that frequently so probably missed the extra copies it made before today.

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 27 of 146

Jump to solution

Ok - same problem.  I would guess many people have it, but very few check the Task Manager.  For me I get a new QcShm.exe every three hours and when Mcafee checks for a an update  as well as the two conditions you see.  Funny that I don't get a new QcShm.exe when I manually check for an update.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 146

Jump to solution

​,

Just to clarify my thinking. Are you saying that you have the QcShm.exe process running in your Task Manager, and you have not ran a scan? Also if you go to Navigation/Quick Clean and open it but not perform a scan, it creates another running process of QcShm.exe ?  This totally perplexes me?

I was upgraded on 10/17/2016;  (McAfee Total Protection)

Version:15.1

Release Name 15.R0

McAfee Security Center              McAfee Quick Clean and Shredder

Version: 15.1                               Version:15.0

Build: 15.1.156                            Build: 15.0.121

Affld :0                                       

The last time I performed a Quick Clean Task, I did indeed notice (1) QcShm.exe process running in my Task Manager. However after completion and a (Reboot) the process was not present. I have left my machine running for 3 consecutive days, and still no sign of the process.

Having said this...There clearly is a issue for so many to experience such, even one of our Tier 2.5 Techs has replicated it. I will definitely get back with everyone this coming Monday, after our Conference call. Until then I want to thank everyone for your patience.

Sincerely,

Cliff/CD      

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 29 of 146

Jump to solution

My Mcafee:

Version: 14.0

Release Name 14.0 R11

McAfee Security Center              McAfee Quick Clean and Shredder

Version: 15.0                               Version:15.0

Build: 15.0.2063                          Build: 15.0.2049

Affld :105-338 

A new QcShm.exe occurs:

Once every 3 hours

Every time Mcafee checks for an update (not when I do a manual update)

When I open the "about" window

When I open the Quickclean window

NO Quickclean actions are scheduled!

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 30 of 146

Jump to solution

​,

Thank you for your Version/Build information.  Please be assured I will pass this on during our call.

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community