Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 50

Re: Mcafee Livesafe not opening, internet not working

Jump to solution

What OS are you running? In Windows 10 it has Anti-Virus capabilities as well,unlike the prior versions. Having said this, it is my opinion that in comparison to your McAfee software. McAfee provides and offers far more protection.

Especially given the fact that Microsoft failed to provide/release their *Monthly* updates yesterday for the month of February. Which we are still left hanging, not knowing when they will release them. Due to a last minute glitch.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 22 of 50

Jump to solution

I would suggest to either install the *McAfee Cloud AV*, or install the *Consumer Beta Product* until this issue is rectified. The Consumer Beta is actually the 15.0R0/15.1.156 (Lam) if of course the (New) installer has been fixed.

Perhaps my Colleague Ex_Brit could further expand on the *McAfee Cloud AV* as he is a Moderator/administrator there.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

From where should I download the Consumer Beta Product?

BTW I use Windows 10.

Reliable Contributor
Message 24 of 50

Jump to solution

Either one will suffice and is far more superior that the basic *Windows Defender* , in my honest opinion. I will ask ​ to chime in. The only hindrance on Consumer Beta, is if the New Installer is still being enhanced?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 25 of 50

Jump to solution

I've sent you an invitation to join the private Consumer Beta Group.

Also read here: 

Jump to solution

Thank You !

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 27 of 50

Jump to solution

BTW Cloud AV is a different matter and not in beta testing.  See here click to apply to join:    

Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 50

Jump to solution

Moved from Community Support to Vulnerability Scanner >Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
andyross
Level 10
Message 29 of 50

Jump to solution

It looks like McAfee LiveSafe did a major update of all it's components around February 7 or 8. Since then, several times, I have had my Internet access go dead, but can still ping local devices and access my router and modem. Other devices on the network are fine and have full Internet access. I have to reboot to get it back, although I guess if I let it sit long enough it may work again. I didn't check McAfee at the time's it happened, so don't know if it's the cause yet. Seems the most likely, though.

This copy of LiveSafe came with a free year on my Dell computer. If this happens again, and I can verify it's McAfee, I'm dumping it and just using the stock Windows Defender...

bb31
Level 7
Message 30 of 50

Jump to solution

Catdaddy

My McAfee has the following versions and build numbers:

LiveSafe:  version 14.0

Security Center:  version 15.3, build:  15.3.3061

Antivirus:  version 19.0, build:  19.0.3060

Firewall:  version 16.0, build: 16.0.3026

Antispam:  version 16.0, build:  16.0.3035

Parental controls:  version 16.0, build 17.0.3038

Quickclean:  version 15.0  build 15.0.3033

Vulnerability scanner version 5.0  build 5.0.3053

Below is an image of what I would get when Mcafee did open for me.  I am not sure if this was due to me clicking on the icon, since it would have been 10-20 minutes after I clicked on the icon, or if it opened on its own in response to the problem. I know at least once I did not click on icon after a restart and it still opened like this.  I could not interact with the Mcafee interface behind the message about the script.  And after interacting with the script message the McAfee interface was frozen and would not respond, not even close.

IMG_0110.JPG

So this problem continued Friday and Saturday morning.  On Saturday morning when I turned the computer on it had the same issue, nothing internet related would work.  McAfee would not open, or opened very slow.  When It did finally open I would get the screen shown above and it would not respond.  Microsoft Edge would not load webpages, office products like Excel would not open, windows update would not download an update, and HP support assistant would not connect to check for updates.  After getting the above screen on Saturday morning, I clicked no and tried to interact with the Mcafee interface.  I was unable to.  I then tried to shut down.  THe computer hung on shutdown, the screen went black but the power light stayed lit.  I ended up having to hold the power button down to shut it off.  After shutting the computer off, I powered it back up.  When it powered back up everything seemed to be working.  Mcafee opened normally, Microsoft Edge loaded webpages, office products like excel and word opened, windows update would check for updates, and HP support assistant did connect to check for updates.  I ran a quick scan and a full scan with Mcafee which did not find any problems, I also ran a update check with Mcafee, I think there was an update that installed, and I ran the vulnerability scanner manually and it found two shockwave updates which I did not install.  The only thing that was not working was that windows update found a NVIDIA update that was failing to install.  It would download but did not install properly.

Saturday night, turned the computer off and powered it back on Sunday.  Things worked ok again on Sunday.  I will monitor the situation today again and see if it works ok when I am home from work.  Not sure if the problem has cleared itself somehow.  Could the problem have been related to a scan trying to auto run, as opposed to me clicking the button to run it?