cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
literary-gal
Level 7

How do I stop McAfee QuickClean from deleting Ghostery settings in Chrome?

I have a Google Chrome browser (the latest version) with the Ghostery extension. (This is the only extension I have with my browser.) Every time McAfee Quickclean runs, it deletes my settings for Ghostery. I have contacted someone from Ghostery about this and they don't know how to fix it. I've also searched online for a solution and have come up empty.

Does anyone know how I can stop this happening? Thank you in advance.

8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How do I stop McAfee QuickClean from deleting Ghostery settings in Chrome?

Moved to Quickclean and Shredder for better support.

---

Peter

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK trying to think what this is and all I can assume is that you are asking Quickclean to clean with its default settings?

Go into settings and adjust to let you choose what it deletes in Chrome - perhaps this is stored in Chrome's cache?

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

I didn't know QuickClean did this - I've more or less abandoned it for CCleaner. A good thing too since I use Chrome and have Ghostery.

What QuickClean is deleting is probably one or both of the extension's local storage files. For Ghostery these are -

chrome-extension_mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij_0.localstorage

chrome-extension_mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij_0.localstorage-journal

The exact pathname of the place where these files live depends on your Chrome profile name and your OS username (and OS). Best thing is do a search for the extension name (as above) and the files will show up.

How to get QC to exclude them : can you whitelist files in QC? If not, you'll have to abandon it for something else.

Edit : no whitelisting. At most you can include/exclude Cache, Cookies and History for Chrome itself. Nothing about files associated with Chrome extensions.

0 Kudos
literary-gal
Level 7

Thank you for your reply. I guess I will most likely have to find another program.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Just stop using Quickclean then.  It really is only a simplified version of what Windows itself already offers through various tools and transactions.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I should have added that I strongly recommend against using any kind of registry cleaner.   Unless you are an expert, they always spell disaster.

0 Kudos
literary-gal
Level 7

Okay, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
literary-gal
Level 7

Thank you for replying.

I've tried what you suggested and it did not work. It still deleted my Ghostery settings.

0 Kudos