Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ygtbsm
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 31 of 42

Re: BEWARE vulnerability scanner

MVM is indeed finding files in Firefox's download directory.  I've just added and deleted files in that directory and VS is picking them up.

So, in summary, MVM will scan the hard drive for files (even for files which aren't installed) and will deem them a vulnerability and then introduce a new potential vulnerability by installing software onto the machine as well as retaining the original files in their original locations which is supposedly a vulnerability in the first place.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 32 of 42

ygtbsm wrote:

Years ago, I had µTorrent on my machine, but I've deleted it.

since MVM  is quite a recent addition to the consumer product, I assume by this you are telling us that you uninstalled uTorrent BEFORE you installed MVM?

I hope you can agree it makes it extremely unlikely you have uninstalled, as obviously MVM is not going to detect things that were not there when it was installed...

ygtbsm
Level 7
Message 33 of 42

It's plausible that you came to that assumption, but it's not correct. 

Years ago, I had µTorrent on my machine. 

Then, also years ago, I installed MVS. 

Then, also years ago, I deleted µTorrent on my machine.

µTorrent does not appear in my install programs listing, nor is in referenced in my registry, with the sole exception of .torrent as a known file extension entry in my registry.

Reliable Contributor
Message 34 of 42

I know you must be really angry at your son for both downloading and sharing movies illegally via peer-to-peer software, but I don't understand what your concern with MVS is?

MVS does not download movies, activate software etc - I don't even believe it updates torrent software (it's too obscure).

And of course, I am sure you already know that BitTorrent clients don't download things themselves, you have to tell them what to download... And lastly, I am sure you know that Bittorrent is not part of Windows - you have to choose to download it.

If you can explain what the product flaw is, we'll be right on it.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 35 of 42

Simon, it does update uTorrent (for one example) and the software always turns itself on when updated, or rather defaults to "Start with Windows".   That's the fault of  uTorrent, not McAfee.

My point was that MVS always asks you first if you want to update anything before going ahead and doing it, giving the user the choice of going ahead or not.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 36 of 42

Best to just as suggested disable the Vulnerability scanner scheduled scan.or

1. Do not have automatically install my updates after a scan selected in the settings

2. You can also unselect the program updates and only scan for windows updates

Uni not willing to acknowledge this was a mistake due to settings on the programs?

Yes Simon utorrent is updated by VS and auto then starts something I always disable after scans and updates to it.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 37 of 42

I stand corrected then - uTorrent is updated by MVS. The fact it sets itself back into "Start with Windows" mode is interesting for sure.

I still don't see any failure by Livesafe/MVS though? What am I missing?

Reliable Contributor
Message 38 of 42

Coincidence perhaps but about 3 minutes ago MVS offered me an update to uTorrent.  This time it didn't alter any settings, simply started the software.

All I had to do was exit.

Reliable Contributor
Message 39 of 42

BTW I see no issue with MVS as told here at least.

Reliable Contributor
Message 40 of 42

I also should have added that MVS does not install updates automatically at default settings, but it could do so if the settings are altered as such.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community