cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Upgraded NSM Manager from 9.1.7.75 to 9.1.7.77 on Windows

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to confirm that I'm understanding it correctly.

As per McAfee's release notes (link below), McAfee recommends you to use the Central Manager version 9.1.7.77 to manage the Manager version 9.1.7.77.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/28000/PD28334/en_US/...

Now, when I'm upgrading the NSM Manager (on a Windows Server box) since NSM Central Manager is NOT installed, I will not get the option to install McAfee NSM Central Manager 

NSM upgrade greyed out.PNG

How to go about it and what is the best practise here?

Thanks,

Gagandeep

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor petermason
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: Upgraded NSM Manager from 9.1.7.75 to 9.1.7.77 on Windows

Jump to solution

Hi Gagandeep,

No, in your scenario there is no benefit in having a Central Manager, a Central Manager will only provide a benefit if you have multiple regional managers and want to be able to manage the policies for all of them in one place.

You say you have only one manager configured, is this one standalone manager or do you have an MDR pair? If you only have an single standalone manager configured I would recommend setting up another manager and creating an MDR pair so you will always have an active manager when performing upgrades, performing database tuning or when performing maintenance on the Windows server.

Regards

Peter

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi Ghunjan,

You will need to install the Central Manager software on a separate server. The Central Manager can not manager the NSP sensors, only the managers.

If you have multiple Regional NSP Managers you can deploy a Central Manager to allow you to configure policy for the regional NSP managers and to allow you to view the alerts in one central place. 

How big is your environment? How manay managers / sensors are you supporting?

Regards

Peter

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for getting back.

We only have 2 sensors in our environment and 1 Manager which is installed on a Windows Server. 

In this scenario, do I still need to install Central Manager ?

Thanks,

Gagandeep

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi Gagandeep,

No, in your scenario there is no benefit in having a Central Manager, a Central Manager will only provide a benefit if you have multiple regional managers and want to be able to manage the policies for all of them in one place.

You say you have only one manager configured, is this one standalone manager or do you have an MDR pair? If you only have an single standalone manager configured I would recommend setting up another manager and creating an MDR pair so you will always have an active manager when performing upgrades, performing database tuning or when performing maintenance on the Windows server.

Regards

Peter

Jump to solution

Hello Peter,

Yes, it is a standalone Manger and there is no MDR pair.

I agree with you. 

Thanks for answering me questions. 

Really appreciate.

Cheers,

Gagandeep 

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community