cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor serial number from API

Jump to solution

Is it possible to get a Sensor's serial number through the NSM API? This doesn't seem possible from the documentation, but it seems like basic sensor information that one should be able to query over API. Anyone know if this is possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sensor serial number from API

Jump to solution

It seems that in NSM version 9.1.7.63 I cannot import any configurations. I tried exporting my config and import it again without Changing the exported config in any way and received the same errors as when I change something in the configuration.

This make me doubt that this is possible and makes me question the actual usefulness of the API.

The only way to get a detailed list of Sensors attached to NSM is to export a device summary.

Manager -> (choose your root domain) -> Reporting -> Configuration Reports -> Device Summary.

Even though there is the option to export the device summary in CSV. It is not an actual CSV and thus is useless. McAfee does not follow RFC 4180 and thus makes the CSV useless to import it into any system that requires CSV format.

You either have to run scripts to Prase the broken CSV to fix it, or you have to use the broken API Prase the Json and manipulate the date to fulfill your needs. Both methods are useless for any sort of robust automatic device accounting documentation needs which large organizations have.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Maybe a workaround is to set the sensors Serial number into a field that is returned. I don't want to change the sensor's name, but if there is some way to change the "Description" field of the sensor. However, I have yet to find a way to do this on the sensor.

Jump to solution
Looks like the only way to possibly change the McAfee Sensor Description is to change the Description field when importing a Sensor configuration and changing the Description field in the XML:
XML Field:
<sensor description="MCAFEE-NETWORK-SECURITY-PLATFORM" model="M-2950" slotCount="2" //……

Source: https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/network-security-platform-9.2.x-manager-api-reference-guide/page/GUID...

Jump to solution

It seems that in NSM version 9.1.7.63 I cannot import any configurations. I tried exporting my config and import it again without Changing the exported config in any way and received the same errors as when I change something in the configuration.

This make me doubt that this is possible and makes me question the actual usefulness of the API.

The only way to get a detailed list of Sensors attached to NSM is to export a device summary.

Manager -> (choose your root domain) -> Reporting -> Configuration Reports -> Device Summary.

Even though there is the option to export the device summary in CSV. It is not an actual CSV and thus is useless. McAfee does not follow RFC 4180 and thus makes the CSV useless to import it into any system that requires CSV format.

You either have to run scripts to Prase the broken CSV to fix it, or you have to use the broken API Prase the Json and manipulate the date to fulfill your needs. Both methods are useless for any sort of robust automatic device accounting documentation needs which large organizations have.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community