cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSM memory limits ?

Jump to solution

Hi folks.

I made clean install of NSM 8.3 into VMware and replaced old physical mgmt appliance with VM.
NSM works ok, but I can see low memory utilization. Whole system uses aprx. 5GB of 10GB available on VM machine. Is there any chance I can tune memory settings ?

Also in rare scenario I can see few Low Memory Detections in /Domain > Troubleshooting > Health Check

I searched documentation but found nothing about memory settings.

Any idea to look for ?

Thx.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: NSM memory limits ?

Jump to solution

I've opened support ticket and proposed KB83829 https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83829&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f... explains some basics and solved our issue.

Our NSM now use more memory as needed.

8 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Lubomir,

What OS is your VM running? What specifications does it have?

How much memory did you allocate to the NSP in the install wizard?

You could re-run the install wizard and allocate more memory to the NSP process, but I do not know if you can reconfigure the memory allocation by editing the config files.

Memory requirements are documented in the Installation guide but are dependanat on number of connected sensors and volume of alerts generated.

Regards

Peter

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Peter.

It is Windows Server 2012R2 with currently 10GB of RAM. Old HW appliance was 8GB.

Number of sensors: 12
So this leads me to use default install values in install wizard as basic level is for 1-20 sensors I guess.

Memory requirements are documented and calculated but the installed system does not use available memory anyway.

I will try to re-run install wizard and validate values.

From install guide:
The Recommended Maximum RAM Usage is Physical Server Memory divided by 2 or 1170 MB - whichever is greater. The Actual Maximum RAM Usage can be between 768 MB and three-fourth of the Physical Server Memory size.

Seems Install Wizard calculated 5GB for my deploy. Re-run of setup is needed.

Jump to solution

Update:

I have migrated from 8.3 to 9.2 and during install the setup did not asked for memory limits as 8.x did before. Still my system use only half of available memory.

Continue seeking for sollution...

Tags (3)
d_aloy
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

hi there

I believe the *recommended memory* for NSM installs is 16GB RAM... and for a prod system I will definitely use no less than 24 GB RAM, allocated to that VM specificaly - so affinity ruiles for CPU/RAM required.

If your NSM is only using half of what your vmachine has... is that an issue? Sorry maybe I just  got to the last two messages of this thread and did not bother reading previous posts...

If you have no issues with NSM using those 5/6 GB memory.. then you are lucky!

As Peter said, rerun the installer to 'allocate' more sensors to the NSM which wil automatically increase memory and db connections on the NSM (java.exe server) setup.

Else you could potentially modify a file - but before I share - let me tell you this is an 'old trick' I used many years ago - so you better check with support if this could help in any way with your current release - so basically, Im not responsible if you break anything by changing this file:

tms.bat contains this:

REM BOTTOM - DO NOT REMOVE CODE BETWEEN THESE LINES

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -server -Xms1023m -Xmx2047m -Xss128K

No idea what you should do in your case...

If you hav mem issues, then looking  at emsmem.log and matching the used memory with whatever tasks you have configured on NSM (like updates, reports, etc), and also checking the incoming alert rate (emsout.og I believe) should help before you start messing up with files.

So.. yes you can change settings - not sure what they would you on the current release - so recommendation would be to check witth support. Also make sure to read release notes for newer builds in case you see any mem leaks on your current build.

Regards

David

Jump to solution

Hi.

The strange is that NSM 9.2 setup did not ask for memory settings as all previous versions did.

I have technically no issues with 10GB of RAM even NSM uses 5GB. The lowest memory available detected is 300MB free. This leads me to add ram and hope setup will ask for memory settings. Nope. No memory settings dialog in 9.2 setup :-o

I will try to look at proposed tsm.bat and log files.

Thx and have nice day.

mjesmer
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

You can get away with lower RAM numbers, however if you call in to support with an issue on the Manager, like delayed alerts, service not starting, slow load times, etc...and they look at the specs of server, they will tell you to give the system more RAM. If you aren't meeting the minimum requirements, then the install is not a supported deployment.

I had this conversation several times with customers when I was in support. It is almost never an easy one to have,  because they always thought it "should" work with what they have.

Jump to solution

Hi.

I've met minimum RAM having 8GB during NSM8.3 fresh install. After install, system used apx.5GB based on proposed setup calculation and sensor number. After some time, we added some sensors and added some more RAM to VM. The NSM8.3 did not noticed this change and continue allocate only 5GB even Windows OS see currect memory available.

Based on documentation, I tried to run NSM9.2 setup with new memory proposal. Nope. No sensor number/memory cache settings was displayed. Now I have NSM upgraded from 8.3 to 9.2 but still with 5GB of RAM allocated.

I am not aware a way to modify RAM settings other than setup higher NSM version install package...

Is there any config/registry file with memory settings ?

Jump to solution

I've opened support ticket and proposed KB83829 https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83829&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f... explains some basics and solved our issue.

Our NSM now use more memory as needed.