cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSM 5.1 - Connection to Update Server is down

Hi All,

On the home page of the Network Security Manager 5.1, I have a message that connection to update server is down.

On the same server where the network security manager is (I only have one sensor so I use Windows 2003 SP2 server) I am able to access the internet using the same IE6 browser, so what could be the problem? What port does the NSM use to access Update Server for updates.

Regards,

Edwin

3 Replies
Highlighted

Edwin,

This is most likely a DNS issue on the NSM machine.  We recently adjusted our DNS mappings for the download server, and it may be that the NSM still has the old DNS mapping

You can try the following:

On the local machine where the NSM software is installed, go to "Start>Run" and enter "cmd.exe"

At the following DOS prompt, enter the following command

Ipconfig /flushdns

This will flush the DNS cache on the system and force the system to relearn DNS to IP Addresses.  Restart the NSM services and see if that makes a difference

You might also open your browser (on the local NSM) and try pointing to

https://menshen.intruvert.com

The browser should track down the current DNS info, and prompt you with a login screen.  If it does you can just close out the dialog and try NSM again (as browser has now updated your DNS cache, which NSM uses).

Good luck

--Steve

Thanks Sgrossen for your reply.

I flushed DNS cache and followed the rest of your instructions. I still get the "Connection to Update Server is down"

Humm... you may want to open a case for this.  We were having some intermittant issues with our download server, but have since fixed them, so if it is not DNS related, it may require further digging.   Thx

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community