Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dotax
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

NS-series Sensor memory question in NSP 9.1

Upon upgraded to 9.1, i noticed our NS sensor has 4 types of memory usage as below:

• Flow Pool 
  • Decrypted Flow Pool 
  • Packet Buffer 
  • System Memory 

However, i noticed that even there is no any incoming traffic , the system memory of  NS sensor is higher than others memory usage type, as an example in print screen below, our NS-7300 keep showing constant system memory of 45% (the yellow dotted line) even it did not start inspecting network traffic yet.sensor.jpg

Then ,for NS-9200, the system memory showing constant 70% memory usage when there is not any traffic too. 

Is there anybody experienced this same behavior too? 

While i can understand the flow pool and decrypted flow pool, but i wonder if anyone knows what Packet Buffer and System Memory meant in memory type?

Labels (1)
2 Replies
Reliable Contributor petermason
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: NS-series Sensor memory question in NSP 9.1

Hi Dotax,

I have checked some of my NS9200's and they are all showing System memory of around 50%.

If you look at the 9.1 Manager Admin Guide it gives the below explanations,

• Packet Buffers — The percentage of the packet buffer used by the Sensor.
• System Memory — The percentage of the system memory used by the Sensor.

the example pictures show an NS7300 at about 70% and an NS9200 at about 50%. 

How long have your sensors been running? Have you tried rebooting any of them to see if the memory usage goes down?

What sensor software version are you using?

Regards

Peter Mason 

dotax
Level 9
Message 3 of 3

Re: NS-series Sensor memory question in NSP 9.1

Hi petermason,

Our sensor has been running for more than 1 month, we had start observing this system memory constant high issue previously when the sensor is in version 9.1.5.23. This week monday we had upgraded it to current latest, 9.1.5.63, but it is still showing the same constant memory even we had rebooted it during the upgrade. 

I just wonder if it is normal for it to stays at around 50%? and why? This feature doesnt shows in M series sensor btw...

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community