McAfee NSM OS Upgrade Help

Hi All

I need help and guidance:

I have scenario given below:

NSM Installed OS: McAfee OS server 2008

NSM version: 9.2.5.12

NSM Installed Machine Type: Hardware based server McAfee Appliance

NSM Mode: Standalone with No MDR configured

Now I want to upgrade from server 2008r2 to server 2012 r2 but before upgrade I want to deploy MDR that will serve as in case of primary NSM server will not available. Kindly guide me I have some question:

1. I want to install MDR on VM can I use vm or esxi server or virtual machine ?

If yes then which version I can use minimum of esxi server version?

2. Can I take only config backup with taking all tables backup before upgrade?

3. Can I upgrade win server 2008r2 directly without loss of my current server settings to server 2012r2?

4. When I will upgrade my server from 2008 r2 to 2012 r2 then will I have to reinstall NSM on same machine ?

5.Before upgrade will I configure MDR as primary server manually?

1 Reply
fkazi04
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee NSM OS Upgrade Help

hi @User27622125 

I believe your NSM version is 9.2.9.12 and not 9.2.5.12.

1. It is not recommended to have MDR between Physical appliance and a VM. Technically there is no limitation, but this setup hasn't been tested by QA.

2. Recommended to take all table backup and config backup table separately before upgrade for disaster recovery.

3. Upgrading of OS (from 2008 - 2012) will clear your existing configuration including NSM. Before upgrading OS, you must:

a. take backup of existing NSM and other required data like logs, reports, archival as per requirement.

b. Upgrade the OS

c. Install same version of NSM i.e. 9.2.9.12

d. Restore the backup.

Regards,
Faizan

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community