cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an NSP 9.1 compatibility matrix for ESX(i), NSX, OSC

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've searched through the McAfee Support portal Knowledge Center but was unable to find a compatibility matrix document or resource for the following components in an ESX(i)-based environment:

• NSP 9.1 (NSM, vNSP, etc)
  • vmware ESX(i)
  • vmware NSX
  • Intel Open Security Controller

Do we still support this solution?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor d_aloy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 7

Re: Looking for an NSP 9.1 compatibility matrix for ESX(i), NSX, OSC

Jump to solution

Hi Jose

The standalone VMware ESX vIPS will work with a 9.1 NSM, but the VMware NSX integration via the Intel Security Controller has not been tested, and therefore not supported, even if the same ESX vIPS sensors are used.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

David

6 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Jose

That is a very good question. It appears the initial 9.1 release does not support ESX or KVM environments. I'm attaching a release notes I got when it was released, even though the doc does not seem to be online anymore (I get 404 rsp code) as some other 9.1 docs (installation guide? you guys having the same problem?)

You can see on the attached docs that the Manager doesn't support NSX or KVM environments, so I understand that the controller and NSM won't integrate with these - so this initial release appears to be mainly focused on providing AWS support.

I do believe they will be supported at some point though - based on conversations I've had. But best option would be to get some official response from your Account/Support Manager on this, and if Dev has a committed build for supporting these platforms.

I'll be asking tomorrow - but let me know if you can get anything sooner 

Cheers

David

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Jose

This is the latest I've got from support in regards of vIPS compatibility on NSP 9.1:

NSM 9.1 version was not tested with 9.1 sensors on NSX & KVM. However, NSM 9.1 does support 9.1 sensors on ESX.We will ensure 9.2 compatibility of both NSM & sensors across all virtual/cloud platforms.

HTH.

Regards

David

Jump to solution

Hello David,

Thank you for the follow-up. I know you're the messenger but I'm still a bit confused on the message.  As I understand it, the sensors are supported on ESX but it wasn't tested tested with NSX/KVM.  However, is the NSX-based NSP sensor supported in 9.1?

My assumption is that it would work but the lack of details in the documentation makes me wonder if the NSX-based solution dropped off.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Jose

The standalone VMware ESX vIPS will work with a 9.1 NSM, but the VMware NSX integration via the Intel Security Controller has not been tested, and therefore not supported, even if the same ESX vIPS sensors are used.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

David

Jump to solution

Understood- not tested means not supported. Thank you.

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

I have taken this out of Moderation as it is a legitimate post. It has been marked as Correctly Answered/Solved, Locking it.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community