Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WGOKC
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

IDS 3100 Signature Update

I am running NSM 9.2.9.52 with multiple 3100 IDS's.  However, after joining the IDS's to the manager they all remain uninitialized.  I've attempted to deploy pending changes to them, but I receive the error listed below.  I've read that the signature set must be deployed in order to initialize the IDS, but I'm not quite sure how to do that if all deployment attempts fail.

Fault Type: Deployment Failure
Source: WWYK-IDPS-3100-SC:Realtime Update
Condition Type: SignatureUpdateFAIL
Alarm Type: Communication

The attempt by the Manager to deploy pending changes to device WWYK-IDPS-3100-SC failed. Please consult the system log for details. (The Manager will continue to attempt deployment until it is successful.). Fail reason: Reason #10: Sensor not initialized

7 Replies
ibryan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: IDS 3100 Signature Update

Hello,

According to your issue you are trying to connect a sensor to your already working NSM manager.  Unfortunately, you are not able to push a config / sigset update to initialise the sensor.

You are correct when you say the sensor cannot initialise and the monitoring ports cannot come up unless there is a sigset on the sensor.

Please can you confirm whether the trust and channel is up on the sensor when you performed the 'shared secret key'.  Please provide 'show' and 'status' commands from the sensor.

What is the NSM software version?

What is the sensor software version?

The issue could be related to the sensor software version and the compatibility with the Manager version.  You may need to upgrade the sensor before initialising it.

Please provide the details above for me to confirm.

Many thanks,

Ian Bryan.

WGOKC
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Ian,

Thank you for your reply.  The NSM is running 9.2.9.53 and the sensor is running 9.2.5.6.  Below is the information you've requested.  Thanks again for your help.

[Manager Trust]
Trust Established : Yes

[Manager Communications]
IP Connection : Pass
Alert Channel : up
Log Channel : up
Authentication Channel : up
[Manager Port Reachability]
Install TCP Port 8501 : OPEN
Alert TCP Port 8502 : OPEN
Logging TCP Port 8503 : OPEN

System Name : xxxx-xxxx-3100-xxxx

Date : 1/15/2021 - 14:12:15 UTC
System Uptime : 03 hrs 06 min 58 secs
System Type : IPS-NS3100
Serial Number : xxxxxxxx
Software Version : 9.2.5.6
Hardware Version : 1.00
MGMT Ethernet port : auto negotiated
MGMT port Link Status : link up

[Sensor]
System Initialized : no
System Health Status : uninitialized
Layer 2 Status : normal (IDS/IPS/NAC)
Installation Status : complete
IPv6 Status : Dont Parse and Allow Inline
Reboot Status : Not Required
Guest Portal Status : up
Hitless Reboot : Not-Available
Last Reboot reason : reboot issued from CLI

[Signature Status]
Present : yes
Version : 10.8.17.1
Geo Location database : Present
DAT file : Present
DAT file Version : 2785.0

[Manager Communications]
Trust Established : yes (RSA 2048-bit with SHA2 support)
Alert Channel : up
Log Channel : up
Authentication Channel : up
Last Error : None
Alerts Sent : 0
Logs Sent : 0

[Alerts Detected]
Signature : 0 Alerts Suppressed : 0
Scan : 0 Denial of Service : 0
Malware : 0

[McAfee MATD Communication]
IP : 0.0.0.0
Port(Secure) : 8505

[McAfee NAC Communication]
Trust Status : No Trust
Root Certificate : None

fkazi04
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Hello @WGOKC 

Sensor software 9.2.5.6 is quite old and doesn't support latest signature sets. As a workaround, kindly try manual upload of lite signature set. 

You should be able to get the lite signature from McAfee download portal.

Regards,
Faizan

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
ibryan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for the response and the information.  As my colleague has mentioned the sensor software version 9.2.5.6 is too low for the manager version 9.2.9.53.

The config and sigest update fails because the compilation file created on 9.2.9.53 isn’t accepted by 9.2.5.6.  This means you need to upgrade the sensor to 9.2.5.163 to fix that issue.  If you only wanted to initialize the sensor, then you can perform an offline sigset / config as per the sensor cli command ‘loadconfiguration’.

My recommendation would be to push an upgrade from manager to the sensor.  This is the only way to fix the config / sigset push issue.

Also, please be aware the 9.2.9.53 Manager version was only released for managing the NS-9500 when it was originally released.  As you have a NS-3100 sensor, then you should upgrade the manager to 9.2.9.55 instead, but I would first upgrade the sensor to 9.2.5.163.

Many Thanks,

Ian Bryan.

ibryan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Hello,

yes, the software version 9.2.5.6 doesn't doesn't support a full sigset, but yu need to upgrade the sensor to resolve that and from my experience there are compatibility issues with manager versions running 9.2.9.53 with lower 9.2 sensor software versions.

You can try and add a lite sigest by performing the following steps below.

To access the Attack Compilation page:

1. Log into NSM ui.
  2. Click Devices, <Admin Domain Name>, Devices, <Device Name>, Setup, Attack Compilation.
  3. Set the sigset to 'High' (Whcih is the lite sigset.
  4. Save.
  5. Then push a config update.

If this pushes fine, then you get an initialised sensor so you can upgrade.

If this still fails, then you need to upgrade the sensor.

Thanks,

Ian Bryan.

WGOKC
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

Ian,

I have upgraded the sensors as requested to 'Software Version : 9.2.5.163.' I then attempted to push the signature set to the sensor, but receive the following error:

Error: Please close the window. Failure in compilation process for Sensor: XXXX-IDPS-3100-SC.Error updating sensor. CompilationError Compilation Failed

fkazi04
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Hello @WGOKC 

It seems the manager is unable to compile configuration file to be pushed to the sensor. Please raise case with support team and they should be able to assist you.

Regards,
Faizan

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community