Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Failed to enable IPS port on M8000 sensor

Hi

Im facing one issue where i have problem to enable IPS port on M8000 sensor. I have done few testing as below:

1. I have reboot the sensor and connect sensor port 11A and 11B directly to the switch. Both port on the switch that connect to IPS port 11A and 11B is configured in same VLAN. When i enable the sensor port, both port is up (green status ) for a while then it disable automatically. It is a normal behaviour of the IPS port to UP for a while and disable automatically when connecting to the same switch ( same vlan ) .

2. I connect IPS port 11A and 11B to a notebook . When I enable the sensor port, it show port status is red (Port enable, port down ) then it disable automatically.

From testing above, is it a normal IPS behaviour ? . I just want to ensure it is not a IPS problem, so i can isolate the issue and troubleshoot another thing eg:network connectivity and so on.

4 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5

Re: Failed to enable IPS port on M8000 sensor

If I don't misunderstood your description you are connecting eachother two ports from same switch and same vlan. May be switch ports are disabled by spanning tree running on the switch?. Have you tried to connect those ports eachother without the IPS? What happens?

I don't quite understand what do you want to do with this wiring connection. Please could you let us know what IPS mode do you want to implement, in-line, SPAN, etc. What media ports you have? copper, fiber?

Regards,

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5

Hi

Media ports is copper. It running on inline failed -open mode with failed-open kit. I can enable the port when directly connect two notebook to IPS port. However, when connecting the notebook through failed open kit. Only one port is up. Please help

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 5

One more thing. Connection from sensor port to monitor port in failed-open kit is using straight cable. From notebook to network port in failed-open kit is using cross-cable.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5

Can you please check these two things?

1. Disable the check box "Mcafee Certified SFP" and check the link.

2.  Is it possible to try it on another interface pair?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community