cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fail-closed's Condition?

Hi all,

I have a question: In what condition the sensor will fail-closed? I mean, the Sensor fails, the Sensor's Port is not operating normally or the Link is down?

And what action the Sensor will take for fail-closed? It closed all ports, or only port that is failed?

Thanks and Regards!

2 Replies
petermason Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Fail-closed's Condition?

HI Totti10,

My understanding is that if the ports are configured to fail closed they will fail closed if there is a link failure, or if the sensor fails.

What do you mean by "If the port is not operating is normally"? 

If you have a link failure on a port that is configured to fail closed it should not affect the other ports on the device. (At least that's how it works with fail-open)

If you need a definitive answer I would suggest you contact support and ask them to clarify the fail closed action for any conditions for your specific sensor model and software version.

If possible I would also recommend testing these scenarios so you can confirm the results.

Peter.

Re: Fail-closed's Condition?

Hi,

Consider this simple topology:

Fail-closed.jpg

My question is, in what condition that Sensor will do a fail-closed:

1. Sensor is failed(sure, it will fail-closed)
  2. The SW1's G0/0 interface is shutdown, so the Link between SW1 and NSP is down
  3. The 1A port on the Sensor got problem and not operate

And what's action that the Sensor take: Will it close all port on Sensor, or just 2 port on a pair interface?

Thanks

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community