Did you mean: 
Luigi_df
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Credentials problem restoring a backup

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to restore a backup from NSM ver 9.2.9.55 but I have problems with the admin credential.

After I stopped the McAfee Network Security Manager and McAfee Network Security Manager Watchdog services, I executed the dbadmin.bat script and selected the backup file (same version 9.2.9.55). When I get prompted for the database username and password, I submit the admin DB credentials but I get the response "Please enter a valid username/password".

I test the credential to enter the DB and it's working fine.

Someone can suggest what could be the problem.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fkazi04
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Re: Credentials problem restoring a backup

Jump to solution

Hi @Luigi_df 

Ideally same database password for old/new setup shouldn't be an issue. However, this is something I haven't tried earlier. 

Regards,
Faizan

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
fkazi04
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @Luigi_df 

At time of installation of NSM there are 3 passwords to be provided - for admin user (GUI), root password (for MySQL/MariaDB) and third asks for username and password. This is for the database and it's.

You may reset password following KB:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53391

Root Password is required during upgrade or to login in database. database password will be used to restore backup.

Regards,
Faizan

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Luigi_df
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thank you @fkazi04,

Following the case. I made a lab and discovered this:

-In the case you have the same DB admin password in the Backup and the new installation, when I tried to make the restore, I got the error:  “Unable to read Database: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘admin’@’localhost’ (using password: NO)”

-Using a different DB admin password, when I tried to make the restore, I used the DB admin password of the Backup, and I got the error: “Please enter a valid username/password”, but using the DB admin password of the current installation then I could recover the backup.

I have the following questions:

-Why the DB admin password of the backup didn't work?

-Inspecting at the DB recovered, I don't see the users that were created previously, and neither the DB name of the backup, Why not? 

Thanks. 

fkazi04
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @Luigi_df 

It is by design that db password of present installation will work and not the previous one. The users created in db for integration are not collected in the backup. 

Regards,
Faizan

Was my reply helpful?
Luigi_df
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @fkazi04 ,

Thanks for your answer.

I have a doubt, Why I can't use the same admin DB password in the Backup and the actual DB at the moment of restore?

In that case I get the error: “Unable to read Database: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘admin’@’localhost’ (using password: NO)”.

Is it mandatory to have diferent passwords?

Thanks 

fkazi04
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @Luigi_df 

Ideally same database password for old/new setup shouldn't be an issue. However, this is something I haven't tried earlier. 

Regards,
Faizan

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community