Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Will updating help detect a virus that cannot be found using the trial version?

I just installed the trial version of USB Virus Scan 2.3 and tested it on a number of external data storage devices, which I know to be infected by what seems to be a virus that thrives on transferring data via USB ports.

However, when scanning the removable media for virus infestations, no problems are reported. How do I know whether the virus(es) cannot be detected by the trial version of USB Virus Scan or simply cannot be detected/removed by the software altogether? In other words, I want to know if it is worth investing the money for the subscription fee if I want to resolve the virus problem I have.

The following infections are detected on an external hard drive by my anti-virus programme, but are not picked up by the version of USB Virus Scan I have:

\ - Win32/PSW.OnLineGames.NMY trojan
\ - a variant of Win32/Pacex.Gen virus
\1014\DIR40.EXE\FIL11.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.C trojan
\1014\DIR44.DLL\FIL18.DLL - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AS trojan
\1014\DIR44.DLL\FIL393.DLL - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.CB trojan

What do I do?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 7

RE: Will updating help detect a virus that cannot be found using the trial version?

Hmm, I think the only thing you can do is try it again with the USB virus scan. If it doesn't detect any threat it's not worth the money or it doesn't work properly. Maybe you uninstall the software and install it again to see if this changes anything. Hopefully you have saved the results log of the first scan - then you can compare them.
0 Kudos
Level 21

RE: Will updating help detect a virus that cannot be found using the trial version?

It is only good for scanning/protecting the USB drive it is installed upon. It is not designed to scan any machines that you connect that drive to.
I.E. It isn't intended to be a portable virus scanner.

The first infection is know to the database under a different alias:

The others I can't find.

That's not to say they shouldn't be there, in fact they may well be there, under an alias, but many infections that are of indeterminate types are not covered by major anti-virus applications anyway and you should be carrying anti-spyware as additional protection in case of emergencies, such as SuperAntiSpyware or SpywareBlaster.
A good one to use sparingly is MalwareBytes Free, but I wouldn't keep it installed as it is pretty drastic.

Those applications need to be installed on the hard drive, not on a USB drive.
0 Kudos