cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 5; nexus 7; "There's an attack on your Wi-Fi network"

I have a friend visiting. McAfee on his tablet keeps popping up a warning about my router,  20:2b:c1:75:a1:60 a BT home hub 3. The hub is secured with WPA & WPA2,  and has a strong password.

I'm running McAfee on 3 windows 7 machines,  2 Android tablets (Android 4.4.2 and Android 5) ,  and an android phone (4.4.4),. None of them have ever given such a warning.

All the Android machines are using McAfee security v4.4.0.467.

Wifi analyzer app shows that I connect to

BTHub3-QW4T

20:2b:c1:75:a1:61

2412 MHz, CH. 1

[WPA-PSK-CCMP+TKIP][WPA2-PSK-CCMP+TKIP][WPS][ESS]

SHENZHEN HUAWEI COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD

In the app on my tablet,  the mac address he gets warned about is shown as a LAN neighbor.

What does it all mean? Is there a problem? How can I fix it?   Even if he chooses to remain connected with the box ticked to remember,  the warning regularly pops up. If he disconnects,  he cannot browse the net.

9 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: Android 5; nexus 7; "There's an attack on your Wi-Fi network"

I moved this from Home Network Defense> Consumer>General Discussion>Discusions

This would be better served by contacting Technical Support. It is available 24/7 via Phone/Online Chat being much quicker. 

All the Best

Catadaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I'm having the same issue on an office network, with a nexus 6. Is this indicative of a real attack or is it a consequence of poor network configuration?

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

As the programme used on Nexus tablets is a Mobile Product I've moved this to that section and maybe someone with that experience will post.

---

Peter

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

If nobody here has an answer, Technical Support is free of charge by phone: Services and Support for Home and Office

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I think all it means is a strange network (yours) is adjacent - have you tried connecting that device to your network?

Or your friend should make sure the network is included in his network connection list as OK.  But then I'm just guessing.

The device IS connected to my network.  The other SSID is not available to connect to.

This issue also happened whilst we were away last week at the cottage we rented.  That had properly secured Wifi with WPA/WPA2.  Our two tablets and one phone connected without warning.  His Nexus 7 connected fine, then showed the same "ATTACK" message on an SSID that was one less than the one to which he (and we) were connected.

We uninstalled McAfee, rebooted the Nexus 7 and reinstalled McAfee.  It worked fine for half an hour before popping up this message again.

I cannot find any way of putting a network into a "network connection list" in Android.

He doesn't get the problem at all on his own home network (also a BT Home Hub), not in a year of ownership using various wifi networks.  As we have been travelling about, we've not had time to phone support.  I'm typing this while they are all asleep, then its off to the airport.

I'll try and get him to call support when he is back home and has time.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I would enlist the help of Mobile Support.  It's free of charge by phone or online chat.  Phone is best.

Link in post #4 above.

Highlighted

Hi everyone.

In my case, my smartphone is a MotoG 4G (XT1039) running Android Lollipop (5.1); it can connect automatically to three known different Wifi networks -- let's call them N1, N2, N3.

This problem appeared after upgrading to Lollipop from Kitkat. In Kitkat MMS had not this issue.

When connecting to N1 (or N2), the popup window appears. The only workaround is power off and restart the phone. Then the problem seems disappear -- if that Wifi network is restarted, my phone can reconnect with no MMS popup window. But the problem appears again when my phone is disconnected from N1 and connected to N2.

In both networks N1 and N2, MMS running in the phone of a friend of mine (Sony Xperia Z1 running Lollipop) reports no problem.

P.D: Support Service did not solve the problem. They only suggested to restart the smartphone.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

You can always ask Support to escalate the issue to a higher level.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community