Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdesnayer
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

VLAN traffic in bridged mode

Howdy,

Can anyone confirm if they were able to configure a bridged mode interface to pass/filter VLAN traffic.  I don't believe it is possible but want to confirm if it is possible to put the firewall in bridged mode, and pump multiple VLAN’sthrough the firewall over the bridge?

3 Replies
sliedl
Level 14
Message 2 of 4

Re: VLAN traffic in bridged mode

I think it should work if you set it up correctly.

kdesnayer
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

We have between 6-8 VLAN’s, and we trunk those VLANs into Storage, and an ESXi, so each vlan can access their own infra in the ESXi.

We need to put the firewall in to restrict access inbound, which we plan on doing with the mcafee and active directory / ldap authentication with the MLC’s.

If you figure that will work, I will start building it in the lab... thanks

mtuma
Level 13
Message 4 of 4

Hello,

This question comes up periodically and unfortunately  I believe that this is not possible.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/270444#270444

Here's a response I found from a Senior Engineer:

The firewall supports VLANs in transparent mode, but not trunks.  It supports multiple VLANs bridged together, but what you want would effectively be separate bridges for each VLAN pair.  We currently support only one bridge.  Also, the firewall would have to have an address on each VLAN, as it runs in hybrid mode with routing as well as bridging (routing to select the bridge, then bridging to select the bridge member).  I am not aware of any plans to add trunking support.

Hope this helps,

-Matt

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community