Did you mean: 
gofwv
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Strange Blackhole request

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a request to blackhole a system that attempts a specific protocol to a specific network.  For example - block all traffic from a system (say an accounting system) attempting to NAC on the open student network.  I may be missing something but it doesn't appear that you can add your own IPS signature.  Does anyone know how this could be accomplished?

Thanks,

gofwv

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sliedl
Level 14
Message 2 of 3

Re: Strange Blackhole request

Jump to solution

You can write a snort signature and import it into the IPS system of the firewall, yes.  KB63125 talks about using custom signatures.

You could also make a Deny rule for a certain port (or a protocol) from a set of IP addresses.  If these devices try to go through the firewall on that port they will be denied.  You could then write an audit filter to 'catch' these events and then blackhole the source IP.

If you can be more specific about the ports or protocols, what exactly someone wants you to block, I can tell you if the firewall can do that.

2 Replies
sliedl
Level 14
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

You can write a snort signature and import it into the IPS system of the firewall, yes.  KB63125 talks about using custom signatures.

You could also make a Deny rule for a certain port (or a protocol) from a set of IP addresses.  If these devices try to go through the firewall on that port they will be denied.  You could then write an audit filter to 'catch' these events and then blackhole the source IP.

If you can be more specific about the ports or protocols, what exactly someone wants you to block, I can tell you if the firewall can do that.

gofwv
Level 7
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Excellent - I am sure one of those solutions will work.   Thanks

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community