Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilM
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

MLC Installation on Server 2008

I am seemingly unable to install MLC 1.0.0 on a 2008 server.

Checking the product guide, it states in the System Requirements section that the target should be "Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 1 or greater", which at face value could suggest that it is only designed for 2003 server. However, there are numerous references to 2008 server, including on page 4 of the same product guide (bullet point 4) "Logon Collectors and Logon Monitors are instatlled as services on Winodws 2003 and Windows 2008 servers".

However, when attempting to run the MLC setup, shortly after the splash screen loads it seems to run a check on the server and comes back with the error:-

MLCError.JPG

Can anyone explain what is causing this to happen? It's a standard installation of 2008 Server, joined to a 2003 SBS domain, and is playing host to our in-house ePO installation.

Many Thanks,

Phil.

10 Replies
sliedl
Level 14
Message 2 of 11

Re: MLC Installation on Server 2008

Phil,

I created a ticket for you.  Check your email.

PhilM
Level 14
Message 3 of 11

Thanks - but I haven't seen anything in my mailbox so far.

Phil.

sliedl
Level 14
Message 4 of 11

I'm sorry, I assumed you were a different 'Phil M.' with whom I've worked previously and I emailed him.  This is what happens when you assume. Sorry about that.

MLC won't install on Windows Server 2008 R2 as of right now.  There looks to be a fix coming for this later.

dgold
Level 10
Message 5 of 11

While Windows Server 2008 R2 is not officially supported with MLC 1., I have been told that it will install and run if you make sure to install in '2003 Compatibility Mode'

We are planning on officially supporting Windows 2008/R2 in a future release, but you should be able to get it working in the meantime with this workaround.

PhilM
Level 14
Message 6 of 11

Sliedl - No problem. I quite possibly am a differnt "Phil M" - though Dave Gold knows me as we used to speak many moons ago when he was a Secure Computing support engineer, and we met when he came over to the UK in September last year.

Dave - thanks for your response. That is interesting as I contacted support directly yesterday afternoon. Their response indicated that 2008 was a definite "no" and it was the documentation which is at fault for mentioning anything other that 2003 Server

We support Windows Server 2003 SP1, and later versions of Windows 2003.  We do not support 2008 or 2008 R2.  Windows 2008 may work, but isn't tested.  Windows 2008 R2 does not work and will not install. The Logon Collector documentation is in error, and we are working with engineering and technical publications to correct this.

Phil Mordecai - Clearview Systems (just to clear up my true identity! )

I have the same problem

dgold
Level 10
Message 8 of 11

Were you able to get the workaround working with the 'compatibility mode' on Windows 2008?

danob
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

Did this ever get fixed?  Can I install MLC on 2008 R2 yet, or should I stick with 2003 SP1?

sliedl
Level 14
Message 10 of 11

It may work on 2008 R2 in compatibility mode.  It is not officially supported yet though, no.  MLC 2.0 should support it, from what I've heard.  I do not know when that version will be released though.

MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.