cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it possible to restore an appliance backup config file into a VM?

Hi Guys.

A couple of questions,

Related to restore a backup obtained from a physical MFEappliance. Sxxxx and forget about doing the arrangements for interfaces (cf interface modify….) to get it done.

1. - Is it possible to restore a configuration backupinto a VM?

If the answer is yes, what happened with licensing andthe UUID since it is restored on a different appliance and different system ID.?

2. - Is it possible to restore a cluster configuration backup file (from the active member) on a VM?

What I assume the answer is not. since HA is notsupported in VM

Does anyone can be gentle and confirm?

Customer is on the process to upgrade their HA firewalls,but they want to be sure that the process will work during the upgrade, therefore they want to test on a VM prior do a windows maintenance by restoring the cluster backup file from the active member on a VM. Is it possible?

By the way, no spare appliance.

Thank you!

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is it possible to restore an appliance backup config file into a VM?

1) Yes it is. As long as they are at the same software version. What will happen is that the license on the VM will get overwritten by the license on the config backup, but since the System ID will have changed (different hardware), the license key will become invalid and the firewall will become unlicensed and will not pass traffic.

2) Yes this will work as well. HA is supported in VMs.

I have heard of other customer using this process, the only problem you will have is with licensing. Without a license on the virtual, it will not pass traffic (not sure if you were intending it to do so)

Hope this helps.

Matt

Highlighted

Thanks for clarify.

This is what I get at the VM once the backup file is restored. (Backup was taken from an Active Firewall working in HA mode). What do I need to do from here to get the system ready.

Restoring cluster HA backup on VM.png

Regards.

Level 13
Message 4 of 8

This is simply showing that the firewall is in failure mode because it is not licensed (as expected). You can still administer it but it will not pass traffic.

Matt

Highlighted

Thank you, Mtuma

So, what I understand is

By re-entering the license keys  the system will come up fully funciontional and does not matter if it is cluster or no?

We appreciate your help.

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 6 of 8

Hello,

Well this is where the problem is. If you do not have a license for the VM, then you will not be able to license it and get it to pass traffic.

If you are able to get a license for the VM, then the software will still function just fine even if the other member is not available (the configuration restore contains the HA information so if you restore the config, the firewall will still think it is a cluster).

Is your intention to pass traffic through the VM?

-Matt

Highlighted

Thank you Matt,

I see, thanks for the input.

Is your intention to pass traffic through the VM?

No, my intenttion is not to pass traffic through the VM.

The goal for this lab is to upgrade MFE from version 8.2.1 to 8.3.1 on a VM, and show the customer that its windows maintenance will be flawlessly on their appliances.

However I think, I will need for sure a MFE VM license, to perform 'check for available package/software' and download the 8.3.0 and 8.3.1 software versions.

Thank you so much.

Best,

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 8 of 8

Ok, I understand and that does make sense.

Unfortunately without a license, as you can see the firewall will not download or install patches.

Do you have any contacts in McAfee Sales? If so, you may want to ask them for a temporary or demo license for VM. I am not exactly sure of the process, but if you can get a serial number, you can then put it into the VM and get licensed, and then download and install patches.

-Matt

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community