cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to change your Password with Mcafee Family Protection

Jump to solution

I have Mcafee Family Protection with my BT Broadband Option 3 contract and had need to change the password.

Firstly, I checked within the program itself for such an option but could not find one. I then rang Mcafee Support who refused to help me with this and referred me to BT. Once I got through to the correct people in BT, they were able to help me, although it did take them about 10 mins to find the answer. All in all it took a total of maybe two hours to get an answer to my problem. Perhaps I should have contacted BT in the first instance but I did believe that I was going about things on a logical manner. If I have any complaint, it's with Mcafee for a non-intuitive front end to their software, at least in this instance! To change the password, you need to Click on FAMILY SUMMARY within the protection options; your username will then show. If you then click on your username (why you would normally do this, heaven knows!), an option shows up to change your password.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to change your Password with Mcafee Family Protection

Jump to solution

I have submitted an entry suggesting an improvement. Your guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

7 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Doesn't this apply any more? http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101035 

If not I will have them revise it.  Sorry I don't use this actual product.

You get to the FAQ's by right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting Get Help

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/07/12 2:23:15 EDT PM

Jump to solution

I was attempting to change my password. The option you describe is, I believe, for forgotten passwords and iinvolves submitting your email address to Mcafee Support and having them send you this password. I tried this early-on in the hope that, as some 'forgotten passwords' systems do, they would send you a temporary (different) password that would have done just as well. Alas, your old password just comes back to you.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

OK here then (scroll down):  http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101187&lang=en_US&prior_tid=3&AnswerID=16777217&turl...

Is there no easy access to the application's built-in Help section?  With the regular software you just right-click > Get Help > Help and the Help Index opens.

Jump to solution

Yes, that does describe the correct procedure. It's not quite the same wording as in my help section as your link but the gist is the same. I did open the help section and the initial 'headers' referred to adding family accounts and I must have overlooked the 'changing family passwords' section which was what I was after. In fairness to myself, software help is vital for some operations but, wherever possible, the software front-end should not necessitate delving into such sections. I am retired now but I did work that involved helping colleagues work with new software, so got to know just what would cause people problems. Without the help file, this certainly would cause the vast majority of people a problem. A simple tab for 'settings' with a option within to change your password would ease a lot of heartache. Nonetheless, I missed the relevant section of the help section, so must apologise.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

This is all very interesting for me as I have never used the software but thought I could perhaps steer you in the right direction at least.   I too am retired by the way.

You could suggest a product improvement here:   https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

Good luck 😉

Jump to solution

I have submitted an entry suggesting an improvement. Your guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

So I noticed.   Let's hope it is adopted.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community