cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to upgrade MAR to newer version...

New to the product and trying to get a grip on some things. I am trying to upgrade my virtual appliance from version 2.3 to version 2.4 and I'm a little fuzzy on how to do this. I saw the MAR Server package once I updated my bundle but pushing that package to the MAR appliance bombs out. I thought I saw something in the release notes that says you can't remotely upgrade a MAR appliance and that you have to stand up a brand new box entirely? Surely this can't be correct... could someone set me straight?

4 Replies

Re: Process to upgrade MAR to newer version...

I'm under the same impression that a new box has to be stood up. Not a fan of this since we just got MAR set up and deployed to the enterprise less than 2 months ago.  

Apparently 2.3 to 2.4 upgrades are not possible because 2.4 introduced an architecture change where TIE is a required install component. Checked with support and they confirmed it.

McAfee Employee aguevara
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

this is true, as of now the 2.4 package is not meant to be used for upgrades (maybe a future release will ) and you will be utilizing the TIE platform and deploy the mar package 2.4 to it

McAfee Employee rgc
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Hello,

MAR 2.4 is not an upgrade package.

MAR 2.4 install guide has all the details [PD27893]

To install Active Response, you must install the extensions, components, and client packages in a specific order. Active Response, TIE, and DXL servers can co-exist on a single appliance. Since these services can run together on the same appliance and use a unified platform, server maintenance can be reduced.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/27000/PD27893/en_US/...

• Simplest way to go Active Response Catalog page & Select each tab with all entries & click on Actions and export.
  • Save all the 4 XML files as a backup to restore
  • The new MAR 2.4 server is mandatory to select TIE on same box [MAR 2.4 is an combo of TIE,DXL & MAR].

Then, you can reimage the existing MAR server with 2.4 ISO and get it installed with same IP and host name

NOTE: Before upgrading take the backup as mentioned above and upgrade the MAR 2.4 extensions and then install MAR 2.4 with same configurations and import the data backed up to get back the MAR 2.4 

If they have TIE primary, the one MAR 2.4 will become secondary TIE 

This is best way to move forward to MAR 2.4

Regards,

RGC

Raghavendra GC
McAfee Technical Support – APAC
Customer Success Group
www.mcafee.com
Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.