Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

win pc has disabled McAfee

McAfee scanned at 10 am no issues. Around 2 pm, win pc rogue appeared. It has disabled McAfee, when I enable on line scanning, (which I could do after deleting some win pc files) within 10 seconds it is disabled. Will not complete update due to repository not found..have attempted to uninstall and reinstall McAfee, will not update and will run for only seconds before disabled once again..I have deleted all the win pc files I am aware of and also removed known registry keys..there does not seem to be any sign of win pc now, however, I cannot get McAfee from disabling. Has also downed my Malwarebytes which is the common removal tool for win pc. How did it get around McAfee and how do you stop it from happening again. Thanks for any assistance you can give, Jules.
3 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4

RE: win pc has disabled McAfee

Hello Jules,

No Antivirus in the world will protect you from all the threats out there. At best they attempt to block 95% or more... but that 5% is still a pretty lasrge number!

Do you still have issues with McAfee being disabled or unable to update? If so, you should try the McAfee Virtual Technician OR completely uninstall and reinstall McAfee software using the MCPR tool.

Keep us posted!
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 4

Have removed files (that I found from bleeping computer.com re Win PC Virus:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinPC Antivirus
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load "scui.cpl"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load "wscui.cpl"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run "sysav" (this file is not in my registry??)
HKEY_LOCKAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "AntivirusDisableNotify" =>1
HKEY_LOCKAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "FirewallDisableNotify"=>1
HKEY_LOCKAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "UpdatesDisableNotify"=>1

Files:

%UserProfile%\ApplicationData\winav.exe
%UserProfile%\Desktop\WinPC Antivirus.LNK
%UserPofile%\Start Menu\WinPC Antivirus.LNK

Also found:

HKEY_LOCKAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "AntivirusOverride
HKEY_LOCKAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "FirewallOveride
HKEY_LOCKAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "First Run Disabled"

Once removed, was able to uninstall McAfee but when trying to reload, get error 1920, will not update either.

Something is still in computer when files removed which is still disabling McAfee when started after a few seconds, have downloaded other antivirus programs, do not find anything.

Shuts me down on internet after a few minutes so must post quickly (has happened 2 times since trying to post..very frustrating..will try virtual technician..is it easy to find?

Thanks for your reply to this any assistance would be wonderful,

Jules.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 4

Error 1920: The file cannot be accessed by the system.

Have you tried the ESET Online Scanner and MalwareBytes in Safe mode with Networking? These programs have a high success rate with restoring your computer's settings and picking up things McAfee might have missed.

Safe Mode (Choose with Networking)

ESET Online Scanner
MalwareBytes

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community