cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vizslawv
Level 7

vista security virus

Jump to solution

I have vista security virus.  Even in safe mode after downloading rkill and malwarebytes anti malware I cannot run or open them from desktop. I keep getting "What program do you want to open this with" it only lists internet explorer and that is controled by the virus. What do I do now?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: vista security virus

Jump to solution

You can manually fix the file associations.  I created a help thread here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1264

That will hopefully fix things.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance.

There is an excellent removal guide HERE, scroll down that page as the first links you see are advertising.

However as you seem to have lost your computer file associations, more informations might be useful.  What is your operating system and service pack?

There is perhaps one avenue still open to you, can you initiate System Restore to before this all happened?

0 Kudos
vizslawv
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have windows vista home premium service pack 2.  I tried system restore and got only as far as system protection and it said application not found.  I have already printed the article from bleeping computer and tried it but like I said when I try to run it from desktop it ask what program do you want to open it with. if there is any easier way to get to system restore I am all ears.  I have tried Mcafee stinger and get the same message.

0 Kudos
vizslawv
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have tried downloading directly to my flash drive then to desktop but I get the same problem.  I have not tried getting the downloads from an uninfected PC.  Now when I try to delete the previous desktop versions of rkill I get the message I don't have permission to perform that task. 

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Jump to solution

It's a file association malware.

Malwarebytes should fix it, right click Malwarebytes, and it should say "open" or "start."

Good luck.

0 Kudos
vizslawv
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just tried that and I  get the same choose the program you want to open this with.  also that window stays open on my desktop and I can't close it.  Everytime I get that message a new box opens with that message and I can't close it.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You can manually fix the file associations.  I created a help thread here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1264

That will hopefully fix things.

0 Kudos
vizslawv
Level 7

Jump to solution

I went to that site downloaded the exe fix after that I was able to run  MBAM and it found and fixed 8 items.  Thank you and God bless. 

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

That's great.  All the best.  ;-)

0 Kudos