cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

virus search? Artemis!C269F67A9B2

when viewing the results of any scan if i click on the results link to search for a definition I never get a result this feature does not work! Even if I type it in manually I still get no results does anyone know how or if this works? I do not like to have things removed/quarantined unless I know what they are and where they came from! any comments or tips appreciated!! (EG)searches go to http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/ThreatSearch.aspx typical search type= Artemis!C269F67A9B2 :confused:
Labels (1)
10 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

RE: virus search? Artemis!C269F67A9B2

Artemis is the name for McAfee's new Active Protection component, so any unknowns are compared with the database and if not found they are labelled with the name Artemis somewhere in the title. They may or may not be a threat.

I searched the Threat Center using Artemis and came up with this: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_149622.htm Which leads to this: http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/artemis_technology/index.html

Artemis detections and how to deal with them are dealt with in this sticky: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=228162

thanks

Thank you for your quick reply! I appreciate your efforts! it offers a solution of sorts but to send every file discovered off for analysis is time consuming! Wouldn't it be better if Macafee fixed its search function!? Tie it to the results it finds during scans in line with other security software solutions! The deletion of files without conformation from the user seems to be a bit excessive! Especially from the advanced settings! fair enough if the program is run from the basic settings! for novice users, surely the more experienced user should be allowed to decide what to delete or quarantine! The lack of these settings is making macafee more than annoying to use these days! Also might I suggest a simple turn off option from the icon in the toolbar for the next version available!:cool:
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

RE: thanks

Well I partly agree. But give me any application that could see a few improvements and you might as well list them all!

Artemis, by nature, is an unknown, that's why it's not in the database under the various names tagged on the end. Artemis detection "phones home" first to compare notes with the cetral database and if it's not found then gives it a label and then basically leaves it up to the user what to do next.

Artemis is just the example I gave! perhaps I should have been speaking more generally in my question! I have not been able to find ANY results using that search function by clicking on the result from the scan link given, it seems rather pointless if it finds nothing! These are my helpful suggestions to improve functionality for macafee 1)fix the search feature so it gives some sort of answer like those links that you gave! for the generic artemis! or more specific if the infection type is known! 2) have the option to disable/exit from the tool bar or temporarily! 3) Allow the user some control to allow or disallow what stays or goes! 4) the option to stop scanning rars from the scheduled scan as the scans now take hours on my system & very rarely completes successfully! with hard drives getting bigger! this one is a must! If there is an infection mcods or realtime should pick it up if an infected rar file is opened! so scanning thousands of rars over and over from the scheduled scan should not be necessary! I like macafee a lot because it does not miss much! But the lack of options from the advanced side seems inefficient to me! I hope someone from macafee reads some of these and adds them to a macafee product sometime soon! Once again thank you for your reply! I do appreciate the time given.
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 11

RE: reply

Let's hope they do read it. We've suggested many things and some have been adopted, others not.

Yes these are just MY pet peeves! I am sure there are many from other users! I hope they do take them to heart! Having more options is generally a good thing! "thanks again" wink
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 11

RE: reply

Going back to that threat search I note that it wont accept certain characters, so best to keep things simple and concise.

The search cannot be done using some special characters (such as *, #, %). Please simplify your entry and try again.

Anyway, are you OK now, if so good luck?!!

repy

Yes I get that error all the time! so why does the link from the scan result use them? and if I do type the scan result name manually it finds nothing! so the search feature seems to be inadequate! I guess I will just have to continue using google to find answers to what macafee finds during scans! I will also have to disable scheduled scans! because of the rar issue I mentioned! manual scans are not to much of a hassle! So I'm OK for now! Thanks!
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

RE: repy

These things are sent to try us I guess. I do know that the whole McAfee website is undergoing a massive change which is ongoing, so who knows, it may all be improved.

(Or not.....:p:mad::(:eek:)