cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virus or spyware

hello

I'm having big time problem with a virus called(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AntiVirus Disable Notify) what it does is disable your firewall and virus program, I ran super antispyware. it found like 16 infections and i removed them then I ran malewarebytes anti-malware and found this virus titled disable.security, I removed and deleted it , I downloaded mcafee security center everything seemed to go fine, but when i rebooted, the mcafee icon came up in the tool bar then disappeared again, I've done this like 10 times, sometimes I get system error, report to microsoft, it won't let me download mcafee security center I;m running windows xp home edition what ideas does anyone have I'm all ears has anybody else ever had a problem like this
thanks justjazz:confused::(
6 Replies
Jubo
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

RE: virus or spyware

Before you tried to install McAfee's software did you have any antivirus or other security related software installed?

Ever done an online scan like the one here: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

Is your vrsion of windows up-to-date? What happens hen you check at Microsoft Update?

virus or spyware

hi

I've had mcafee security center for 2yrs now, also run lavasoft ad-aware aniversary edit., and since I've had this problem I run malware bytes anti-malware, and thats what keeps finding this (not exact name) but something like this, Hkey Local SOFTWARE Microsoft antivirusdisablenotify (data 1) I also tried something call Killbox its supposed to delete the file on reboot , I've also had some problems on windows update
thanks justjazz

virus or spyware

hello

I was just scrolling in the registry file under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft I open the security center file and these files are in there ANTIVIRUS DISABLENOTIFY, ANTI_VIRUS OVERIDE FIREWALL DISABLENOTIFY, FIREWALLOVERIDE, and UPDATES DISABLENOTIFY does anyone know if this is whats supposed to be in there or can this be deleted

thanks justjazz

Those options are for the Windows Security Center notifications. If you have McAfee installed, it will disable at least 2 of those (Firewall/AV) to prevent double notifications from both the Windows Security Center and McAfee Security Center.

Tools like Malwarebytes may detect this because some malware will disable the alerts so the user does not know their security has been disabled without directly checking.

virus or spyware

Hello secured2k

that might be so but why did it just start happening like 2 weeks ago only, I keep on trying to download mcafee security center but it won't let me, and that stupid red x comes up saying your antivirus is turned off, and I can't open my existing security center 8.0 to fix it, also I don't get anymore windows update icons in my taskbar, and its on auto update, now just today I finally was able to download mcafee sec. cen. and got rid of that red x but the mcafee icon on the taskbar is not there and I tried to open the security cen ter and it wouldn't let me , I also was just running malwarebytes anti-malware scan and
2 disabled security came up one for the antivirus and 1 for the firewall, so I went into the registry file and looked in the hkey local machine software microsoft and it changed the "0" to a "1" so I changed it back to a "0" but how do I get rid of this annoying virus or spyware any problem like this before p.s. I also have the same problem with my daughters cpu and shes running symantec live update from about 2005

thanks justjazz sad :mad: :confused:

Hello,

The registry entries dealing with the AntiVirus and Firewall notify will always be there if McAfee Security Center is installed. It does not have anything to do with the disabled security/antivirus (red x).

It sounds like you may have a compatibility problem that is preventing from McAfee from starting up. While you MIGHT have a bad piece of Malware, usually it comes with symptoms like pop-ups and redirected searches or blocked security sites (can't go to www.mcafee.com).

I suggest you download and run the Norton Removal Tool and then download and run the McAfee Removal tool. Reboot after each tool is complete as recommended. Once both products are completely removed, you should be able to reinstall McAfee without conflict from Norton/Symantec or possible bad settings from McAfee.

Norton Removal Tool
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community