cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

trojan.fakealert

Help required! I am getting this problem at the minute. Initially I was getting this on the screen Trojan.win32Agent.azsy and im also getting w32.Pavsee.C. This is a virus which affects .exe and .com which I really dont want. Will downloaded the free version of malwarebytes.org solve my problem. Any help really appreciated as I have alot of software for work on this pc
7 Replies
janine
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

RE: trojan.fakealert

funny you should say that; im experienced the exact same thing last night, i seen it pop up & it disappeared quickly, i have no idea how to get rid of it... my window sdefender wont work anymore due to an error & my mcafee keeps turning itself off...
im also from northern ireland. which is even wierder. dont know what to do at all.... did that free trail work for you??
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Welcome to both of you. You need to post in Virus Discussions & Removal Assistance
http://community.mcafee.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159

Post as many details as possible.....

Please include the following information:

What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update? There are two ways of checking this. Go to Start/Run and type in winver then click the Enter key. Or, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu or on your desktop (or Computer in Vista) and select Properties.
Post what it says.

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - right-click it and go to each application "About" and post the details.
If it is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.

I downloaded the malwarebytes anti virus software and it scanned then cleaned the errors. Ive just done it and dont seem to be having any problems, will post if I get any trouble. Hopefully this has done the trick and i wont gat this crap again.
Janine you should try this. The website is www.malwarebytes.org. Let me know how you get on.
Sorry about posting in the wrong place I will stick to the virus discussion pages next time. Thanks
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Good advice and don't worry. The Testing area is OK if you are practicing posts. I'll move the thread anyway.

The problem with FakeAlert is it may pop up showing messages about other legitimate virus names that are not actually on your computer. It's just trying to confuse you so you don't search for the actual malware, "FakeAlert".

There are so many AV evading versions of FakeAlert and associated malware that it is always recommended to scan your computer with at least 2 different AntiVirus programs and at least 1-2 AntiSpyware programs.

My recommendations:

AntiVirus: McAfee and ESET Online Scanner
AntiSpyware: MalwareBytes and Windows Defender
janine
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

see i was on myspace, where i got a spyware pop up, panicked, & stupidly clicked on it & a few hours later i got an alert from mcafee for trojan.fakealert. which disappeared quickly, so i have no idea if it was still lerking about.

i decided to totally reboot / reinstall everything back to my pcs original state, swiping everything off.

once my pc was back to its original state;
i done antivirus scans with mcafee, avg, and eset online scanner
antispyware scans with malwarebytes, windows defender and this other superantispyware software

malwarebytes was the only scan i found which had an infection in my registry data, which was something called hijack.display which ive currently quarantined & removed.
only other thing scans pick up are just tracking cookies which are easily deleted.

ive never had anything like this before & im not sure if ive totaly got rid of it all.
i was wondering how else i would know if its totally gone? or if theres anything else i can do... i guess im worrying too much & i dont know much about these things.

If you do a complete factory restore to your PC's original state, all old data (including viruses and malicious software) are wiped out.

The display hijack would have been something your PC Manufacturer did as a part of its configuration. It was probably safe to have MalwareBytes remove it.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community