Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zooz211
Level 7

steamui.dll incorrectly identified as threat

Jump to solution

Hello All,

not sure if i am in the right place but i have a McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8 and every time i try to open steam, the steam update fails with "Failed to load steamui.dll".

This is a known issue? VSE logs show that it is being identified as randsomware and is being blocked. I cant turn off McAfee so i am stuck and not able to load Steam

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmeier
Level 13

Re: steamui.dll incorrectly identified as threat

Jump to solution

Thank you!  That file has been marked as clean since 3/29/2017, you shouldn't have any detections from McAfee

- David

16 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

​,

I will move this to Virus Scan Enterprise/Corporate User Assistance, as this is the Consumer Forum. Having said this, on the Consumer side of the Equation. Quite often, if not always our software detects Gaming software such as Steam/Minecraft/Foxhud initially.

This is due to the Downloader/Unpacker. In our case it is detected as a *False Artemis!* and we have to submit it to McAfee Labs to suppress. It may be that you can allow it by excluding it. Hopefully one with more knowledge on Corporate products will advise.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Successfully moved from General Discussion to Corporate User Assistance  > Discussions

For better assistance and better exposure.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
zooz211
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello CatDaddy,

Thank you for the update. I do not have any control over the configuration of the VSE as this is a corporate laptop.

I was hoping that a signature update or something would be implemented to exclude this file.

I guess we will have to wait for McAfee Labs' input. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Perhaps you could try following these guidelines for Corporate products Submit a virus or malware sample

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
zooz211
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello Catdaddy,

Thank you for the suggestion. I proceeded with the instructions you mentioned.

Do you know how long it normally takes for this to take effect? Also, i did not receive any kind of notifications once i submitted the request, is this normal?

Is there a way to track the progress of this request?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Did you zip it and password protect your submission using the word    infected     ?  You should have received a Analysis ID #. Which after 2-3 days your detection has not been suppressed. I can contact McAfee Labs on your behalf and escalate your case.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
zooz211
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes i did. I did it again just to confirm but did not receive anything again. Please try to do what you can from your end and let me know.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I will contact someone from the Labs. Please know that your Escalated Ticket Number is as follows; Ticket #: AM000909 - Corporate User Assistance. I will add that they have been inundated with detections. Hopefully we will hear something in short order.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

What was the size of the zip file? 10 Mb is the largest the submission process will allow. Try the hash values as I suggested and David requested please.