cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
and8
Level 7

removal of fake antivirus program

Jump to solution

how do I remove WIN 7 Antivirus 2011 from a laptop? I tried going to unistall a program but it is not in there. It keeps popping up with different virus alert messages and I have no way to get rid of it. By the way, McAfee isn't picking whatever this is up.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: removal of fake antivirus program

Jump to solution

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

You could try to initiate System Restore to before this happened.  If successful then temporarily disable System Restore to delete the bad restore point.

These 'infections' are fake anti--malware which rely on a person clicking anything that pops up to activate.  They bypass most if not all antivirus applications because of the way they behave.

There are tools available to combat them however.

The best removal guide on the web is here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

Scroll down that page as the first links you will see are all advertising to help pay for their website.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

You could try to initiate System Restore to before this happened.  If successful then temporarily disable System Restore to delete the bad restore point.

These 'infections' are fake anti--malware which rely on a person clicking anything that pops up to activate.  They bypass most if not all antivirus applications because of the way they behave.

There are tools available to combat them however.

The best removal guide on the web is here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

Scroll down that page as the first links you will see are all advertising to help pay for their website.

0 Kudos
and8
Level 7

Jump to solution

how do I initiate a system restore?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I don't know the details of your system etc but it's more or less the same for all.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > (System Tools - Vista/Windows 7) > System Restore

That's assuming it's turned on of course.  If it isn't don't bother to turn it on until the infection has gone.

Proceed with that link.

Google searches are useful getting this sort of information.

0 Kudos
and8
Level 7

Jump to solution

ok thanks, when I clicked on system restore the following message popped up on his pc...

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\rstrui.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again"

I guess I will need to try the link instead...

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

That shows that whatever this infection did it has corrupted certain Windows functions.

What is the operating system and service pack?     Right-click Computer (My Computer XP) and select Properties.  It will tell you there.

0 Kudos
and8
Level 7

Jump to solution

windows 7 home premium...is that what you are looking for? also should i continue with the instructions on the link provided?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yes and once all is OK I suggest you install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.  There is help with that here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205

0 Kudos
and8
Level 7

Jump to solution

thanks for your help.  I was able to remove it following the instructions you sent.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

That's great.  All the best ;-)

0 Kudos