cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
komponist
Level 8

"Your Computer Is Secure", but "Firewall Off" -- post ZeroAccess.e

Jump to solution

For the past few days, I've been unable to turn my firewall on in SecurityCenter, though the top of the home window says that My Computer Is Secure.

On January 21, Security Center found and "Repaired (Removed)" ZeroAccess.e. Then noticed the firewall problem. Last night (January 24), ran a full scan in Security Center, and it found and "Quarantined" four instances of FakeAlert-Rena.cb.

Today, I ran full scans with Security Center in normal startup and Safe Mode with Networking -- nothing found. I downloaded Stinger and ran it, in normal startup and Safe Mode with Networking -- nothing found. I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it in normal startup -- nothing found.

I tried to use System Restore, but didn't have a restore point before all this started to happen.

Anything I haven't tried that I should? Obviously hoping to avoid wiping and reinstalling Windows ...

Thanks,

Komponist

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
komponist
Level 8

Re: "Your Computer Is Secure", but "Firewall Off" -- post ZeroAccess.e

Jump to solution

Thanks, Alex -- you're absolutely right. I tried Peter's suggestions but they didn't work (thanks for trying to help, Peter!), so I did a little more Google research and discovered tthe relationship between Windows and McAfee Firewalls (how does that work,anyway?).

Basically, a couple of registry entries dealing with Windows Firewall were deleted by the trojan, and that caused the problems with McAfee Firewall. I found the procedure for how to restore the entries here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/202166-unable-start-windows-firewall-2.html

Followed the entries by a guy named Balon -- McAfee Firewall came on and STAYED on -- still scanning clear -- everything SEEMS to be OK at this point.

Komponist

0 Kudos
7 Replies
komponist
Level 8

Jump to solution

Sorry -- Windows 7 64-bit.

0 Kudos
komponist
Level 8

Jump to solution

Now, at least, the Security Center homepage and firewall settings page are consistent with one another --both say my firewall is off!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Try this first....run the McAfee Virtual Technician to see if it can repair the installation. http://mvt.mcafee.com

The infection may have corrupted your McAfee installation and as you seem to have run a whole bunch of tools and found nothing I would uninstall McAfee - Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Run the MCPR cleanup tool found under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

Uninstalling McAfee will activate Windows Firewall so you will have some protection whilst this is being done, just don't surf anywhere that isn't necessary.

Hopefully that will reactivate everything.

0 Kudos
alex_n
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello Komponist,

please, you definetely should get in touch with tech support by phone. They should be able to deal with this FW issue, caused by that infection.

McAfee has already recongnized this one and has a protocol procedure to deal with it.

You can find contact numbers in here: http://service.mcafee.com/

This infection affects the Windows Firewall service, thus affecting the McAfee one.

Get in touch and they should fix it.

Good luck,

0 Kudos
komponist
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks, Alex -- you're absolutely right. I tried Peter's suggestions but they didn't work (thanks for trying to help, Peter!), so I did a little more Google research and discovered tthe relationship between Windows and McAfee Firewalls (how does that work,anyway?).

Basically, a couple of registry entries dealing with Windows Firewall were deleted by the trojan, and that caused the problems with McAfee Firewall. I found the procedure for how to restore the entries here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/202166-unable-start-windows-firewall-2.html

Followed the entries by a guy named Balon -- McAfee Firewall came on and STAYED on -- still scanning clear -- everything SEEMS to be OK at this point.

Komponist

0 Kudos
alex_n
Level 7

Jump to solution

Allright then!

Im glad it worked ok.

Anyway, be careful when dealing with the Win Registry and downloading reg entries and keys from an unknown/untrusted source.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

That's an interesting way of fixing McAfee, by fixing Windows F/W.  SevenForums is a great place for Win 7 help.   Good luck.

0 Kudos