cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henkmbc
Level 7

"Windows Optimal Settings" malware in Vista Premium

I was so unfortunate that my desktop computer was infected with the "Windows Optimal Settings" malware program.  Once Vista premium was infected it was impossible to call up McAfee, IE, and/or the task master, the program simply closed them down immediately.  Even in "save mode with networking" the problem was exactly the same.  By downloading "avg_free_stb_all2011_1204_cnet.exe" from AVG site on a memory stick using another computer then with it on the infected Vista desktop downloaded the full AVG free scanning program. Then after un-installing the Mcafee, the program that prevented this disaster from happening, I scanned the computer with the AVG, which in turn conveniently removed the malware.

Unfortunately this is not the first time that a malware program disabled McAfee completely, previously it was on a XP computer. My question is why are they unable to prevent this?

Being a new user I am not familiar with how to use this site and hope it will be published for others to see and learn about it.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: "Windows Optimal Settings" malware in Vista Premium

You were very lucky that AVG Free managed to get this one as most antivirus applications have a problem with these fake anti-malware/optimizer applications.

The usual cure is at the best Malwarebytes Free or a combination of that and RKIll etc. etc. but that would be a subject for independent malware removal forums.

I'm afraid that McAfee isn't alone in being not too effective against this sort of thing.  Maybe AVG just got lucky.

That's why I always recommend to people to carry some extra anti-spyware tools HERE and keep them updated and ready to run whenever needed.

There is a submission process for unknowns:  http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee-labs/resources/how-to-submit-sample.aspx

Plus there is a private group on this forum dedicated to the subject of unknowns (a beta project):  https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/02/11 6:37:10 EST AM
0 Kudos
Ehapi
Level 7

the same problem is happening to our Win 7 system. McAfee and IE are disabled. We are novices. At this point, is reinstalling Win 7 the best thing to do?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Try booting to 'Safe Mode with Networking' by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and hopefully the internet will work and the infection will not.

Download, update (important) and run a full scan with the FREE version of THIS tool.  Let it remove everything it finds and reboot immediately when asked to.

0 Kudos
Ehapi
Level 7

I'll give that a try.

0 Kudos
Alien
Level 7

Does this malware close other programs/applications and how does it originate?

0 Kudos
Ehapi
Level 7

Yes. It does disable programs. McAfee for example. Explorer opened then disappeared. Really, It's this pop up that came up saying it's Windows Optimal Setting and a whole load of scary 'your computer is direly infected' messages and will not close. There's no Cancel or X to close them and it's as if you're forced to choose OK and viola! big, big trouble.

0 Kudos
Alien
Level 7

"Windows Optimal Settings" malware in Vista Premium

Next time, do not click on any of it. Cut your connection, open Task Manager, and close applications you know you did not open. If it's a process, end the process and run a scan, but if you don't know what it is, shut down the computer and run a scan without your connection. The process "description" should be in its name in your History. Let us know if Malwarebytes fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
Ehapi
Level 7

I know. I often avoid these things but this one got too cute. Over the week-end I'll work on it. BTW, does it matter if I run Malwarebytes without internet connection?

0 Kudos
Alien
Level 7

You only need to run Malwarebytes with an internet connection for updates. You can use it without the updates.

0 Kudos