cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertcox
Level 7

"Conduit" keeps hijacking my browsers. How to eliminate?

I've been trying, but unsuccessfully to get rid of something appearing as "conduit" and also apparently adding a search engine called 'Trovi search.' does my McAfee product haveany means to eliminate this? Any help isd appreciated. Thanks.

-rec

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: "Conduit" keeps hijacking my browsers. How to eliminate?

How to uninstall Conduit: Toolbar:  http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/

Trovi is another matter and should have been detected by your antivirus if it was up to date, however please run Stinger from the last link in my signature below, followed by Malwarebytes Free.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Here's also another guide for Trovi removal:  http://malwaretips.com/blogs/trovi-search-removal/ similar to the first one, so maybe you can catch them both at once.

Be very careful what you download and from where.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/14 12:14:47 EDT PM
0 Kudos
robertcox
Level 7

Many thanks to exBrit and catdaddy for the advice. I've gotten as far as running Malwarebytes, which is now 2.5 hours into heuristic analysis. I see several messages elsewhere on the topic of lengthy scans from malwarebytes, and a couple of references to the program hanging up in the heuristic analysis segment.

I wonder if you have any advice on how long I should hang in before I know it's actually hung up (so to speak).  thanks again...i'm still hanging in there...

-rec

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I can honestly say that running the "Threat Scan" has never taken more than 17 mins? If it continues to take any longer, I would cancel it.  And try restarting the scan again. In addition as Ex_Brit stated you can consult the Malwarebytes Forum.

Of course the duration of the scan,can be system specific ,depending upon how many files one has to be scanned.

However, I have never known for it to take that long.

Just thought I would add that.,,,,

One more thought,has it detected any items yet?

Wishing you the best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/4/14 7:30:32 PM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
robertcox
Level 7

Thanks for the help, catdaddy and exBrit. I think it has worked. Malwarebytes took in excess of four hours to complete the heuristic scan, but it finally coughed up a bunch of pup files, which are now safely quarantined. A second scan found nothing nasty. Think the villain was in a CNET download, but can't be sure.

-rec

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Hi Robert,

You are quite welcome   Did you select Remove/Delete the detected items,and restart to completely remove them from your system. How long did your second scan take? As I mentioned earlier, that seemed a rather excessive amount of time to complete.

Hopefully you are okay now.You really do have to be cautious in what you allow to be installed. If you think your issues have been answered,and our suggestions were helpful. Please apprise us so as this thread can be considered answered.

I might add, you can keep Malwarebytes (Free) onboard, just update it before scanning periodically.

Mine always comes up clean, but is a "Superb" tool to have handy.

Wishing you all the best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/5/14 3:32:19 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

robertcox wrote:

Thanks for the help, catdaddy and exBrit. I think it has worked. Malwarebytes took in excess of four hours to complete the heuristic scan, but it finally coughed up a bunch of pup files, which are now safely quarantined. A second scan found nothing nasty. Think the villain was in a CNET download, but can't be sure.

-rec

CNET and other downloads are often accompanied by some (usually unwanted) extras, so always be careful with that.   Look at MBAM's Quarantine folder and delete anything you think should go.

Glad it's sorted out.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

please refer to the following thread Here

The same Superb Tools can be located below my Signature,Ex_ Brit,s,and PeaceKeeper,s as well.

Wishing you all the best,

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
robertcox
Level 7

thanks, catdaddy. please see my repy to exBrit in this thread.

-rec

0 Kudos